Creekboat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-22-2006   #1

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Creekboat?

I lookin at getting my first creek boat before next season, I've heard good things about the Jefe and the Diesel. I plan to demo before I buy, but just wanted to to hear you all's thoughts on the subject. What are some of the features to consider? I'm 5' 10" 160lbs which puts me in the range for both sizes of the diesel, is bigger always better? Whats the skinny?

teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Hey man,

The Jefe is the proven winner for most boaters. There have been a few instances of people having a hard time rolling the boat. But, for me at 150lbs I can handroll it with one hand. So, I think that aspect is just boater specific.

The Jefe will require more driver control than the diesel. Some people prefer to kinda sit back. If you feel good about your current control and use bow draws to steer the boat then I think you'll like it.

It treats me well.

Scott
LL supported boater.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #3

The Burn, burns. I highly recomend it. Very gooooood
Advertisement

Old 08-22-2006   #4

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
Who makes the Burn???
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #5

The Jefe is an awesome creek boat. It turns well, autoboofs, surfaces great, punches holes great, rolls easily, and is very sturdy.

The Nomad is also an awesome creeker. I thought that it tracked better than the Jefe. It turns, boofs, surfaces, rolls, and punches holes just as well as the Jefe. It is a little shorter and a little lighter than the Jefe (maybe an advantage, maybe not, depending on what you want). And the Nomad is the strongest boat on the market. The biggest downside to the Nomad is how difficult it is getting stuff in the back, which they are fixing in next year's model.

The Pyranha Burn is also one of my favorite modern creek boats. Unlike the Jefe and Nomad, it has edges and a flat hull. This makes for an easier transition from playboats and can be a benefit in big water IV and V, though it is a disadvantage in low-volume steep creeking. It does everything just as well as the Nomad and Jefe, in my opinion. My biggest issue was that it does not feel quite as bomber as the others.

All three are awesome creekers. Best of luck.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #6
gh

pnw, Colorado
Due to some companies using better plastic such as prijon and fluid, I dont think you can back up the claim of the nomad being the strongest on the market. If you like that style of creeker then its a good way to go but I am not sure about it being the strongest.

greg
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #7

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
I have had the same Nomad 8.5 for three seasons and it is till good to go. I paddle pretty hard and it has not broken. As for strength it is tough to say plastic wise. Seems everyone has broken one boat or another on a creek. I will however say that the interior pillar, step wall, and seat of the Nomad are about as structurally sound as it gets. EVERYTHING is rotomolded and in a creeker that is what I want. It takes way bigger hits and offers more impact strength.
And the Count is correct; we made the seat even better. The only real complaint I heard was about stern access so we fixed it. The seat is still rotomolded however the new design allows paddlers a ton of room to get into the stern. It is also adjustable and has the new outfitting (new backband and thick seat pad). Check out this photo of it on playak. The backband is unhooked so you can see the open stern access.

http://playak.com/article.php?sid=1233#dagger

Take a look at what some of our athletes run in the Nomad and you will see they are more then confident in this design. I don't know of many paddlers running bigger stuff then Pat Keller and Charlie Center right now, The boat they use? The Nomad 8.5. The thing rocks.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #8
gh

pnw, Colorado
LOL, I could have predicted that you were going to step in on this one. Seems like a strong boat.
gh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #9

KVBA TV8 Vail weatherman/Colorado Kayaker, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Send a message via MSN to hobie
No doubt, I love the boat. I listned to everyones comments for two years about the stern. That was really the main complaint so we fixed it and gave the access. As for the photos, I posted the wrong one first. When you look at the most recent look just to the left of the rock on the top drop. You can see him just at the lip. My point is that the boat is VERY capable and up for any creeking job at hand. I know the paddlers are world class but they too love the Nomad. It goes.
hobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006   #10

Eagle, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to matts Send a message via MSN to matts Send a message via Yahoo to matts Send a message via Skype™ to matts
I paddled the same 8.1 nomad for 3 years and loved it. 2 weeks ago i upsized to the 8.5 and i gotta say, if the 8.1 is a porsche, the 8.5 is a cadillac! i can't wait for the new outfitting.
matts is offline   Reply With Quote