Creek racin' read this boys - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-21-2012   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Creek racin' read this boys

Pretty set on getting some races going this year to be included in the western point series. Numbero UNO trying to get a big timber race back on from pinch to the read and run above big t falls.. This would go on the same weekend as paddle feat unfortunately on the 26th and 27th of may. Gonna try to get permission from the gal who owns the road. As well as see what's needed for a national forest permit.

Second up the boxelder creek race is looking like it will be a go just need some competitors and a couple people who wouldn't mind running a little safety.. This will take place approximately 2 weekends previous to the big timber race..Shooting for 12th, 13th so decent but not peak flows..it's located on county park so we should be good to go. Race would take place from triple scoop to just above loaf.

caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Looks like there is a greys race planned already for the paddle feat weekend. Shit change the big timber race to sometime in June more than likely the weekend after the north fork championships, say the 16th
Old 02-21-2012   #3

Big Timber Race...

Hey Mike,
I did the bulk of the logistical work with the landowner and organization on the first Big Timber Race. It is cool to see someone fired up to resurrect it. There are a few things you should know about first before you get to far along...

1) Tack Van Cleve (landowner) was not happy with the kayak community prior to the original Big T race, but is a very good and reasonable man. He afforded us the opportunity to host the race if we would get the boating community to drop the Thug Life shtick and be respectful during access and scouting/safety on his property. Tack Van Cleve is capable of effectively shuting down access to this creek because he owns land above the high water mark that is needed for safety/scouting/portaging at certain points along the run. He knows this, but as I said, he was willing to keep everything cool if we did the same. He needs to be treated with the utmost respect throughout this process. I have been in touch with him several times since the original race (he actually handwrites a letter every year or so) and he was pleased with the rise in respectfulness from boaters, so thanks to everyone that has been up that way since then.

2) Tack required that he be named as an additional insured on the insurance certificate for the race. This insurance was obtained through the ACA and is around $500.00, if the safety plan is approved. I am happy to help you with these logistics if you are serious about moving forward.

3) Forest Service permit was required, but was fairly straightforward to obtain. Again, happy to help with this.

4) Do not name a date prior to approval from Tack. He runs a business at that ranch and certain weekends they have stuff going on and don't want a hundred people up that way for an event.

5) If you get this far, include the Pinch. It was incredible to have your race start with that drop, and bomber safety and medical personnel can be set up at the bottom of it. I would also recommend stopping the race at the bridge, as the mank below there is more trouble than it is worth and volunteers can be hard to come by when everybody wants to watch the runs at the pinch and gambler.

6) It is an awesome venue for an event and something I would love to see happen again, but it must be approached with a long-term mindset. If you are serious about making this go down, drop me an email. [email protected] So you know, it cost a lot of money out of pocket from a handful of us to pull off last time even after "entry fees" ($500.00 - $700.00), but was worth every penny.

7) You cannot book out the campground from the Forest Service. We showed up the "day before the night before" the race and bought up all available campsites and told the two groups of non-boaters that were there what was about to happen that weekend, so they could leave or get ready. Sites have to be paid for and something resembling a "camp" has to be set-up until real crews roll in. This cost about $250.00 or so.

Don't let this list put you off... This is well worth it, but it is not a simple venue and requires substantial legwork to ensure the bridge repaired with the Van Cleve family remains intact. It sure would be nice to see the Maple Leaf gang get beat after dominating that first event. Not to many "real deal" US boaters made the trip for the original. We had set up for 50 racers, did not get quite that many, but could easily have accomodated that number. Much over that (including shuttle bunnies, photogs, safety, friends of friends, etc.) starts to push the number of people you want to have in there as far as noise and cluster fuck goes. We had requested people sign-up in advance and email in the number in their group. Generally speaking, this helped things out quite a bit.

Best,
Dave
stonefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012   #4

Bozeman, Montana
You are the man Schroeder. Thanks and I was going snag your number from glen here in next couple days and get busy. Last year I talked to some gal who said she was one of the last cousins or something like that. She basically said she was in charge but was really nice and wanted us to stop in for a drink next time we came through. Don't know if you have run into her before but she was super nice..
Old 02-21-2012   #5
doesn't need a fake name

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Does boxelder run in may?

Hey Mike, how is the boxelder snowpack this year? I remember last year I didn't get on that run with water at all. All my runs were super bone zone. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly when I was there. I think I ran it for a couple weekends after your epic loaf swim. Were we too early, or too late? In your expert opinion, is it going to be okay this year? Be honest.

How were you going to do the race? Head to head, or time trial?
leif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #6

Bozeman, Montana
We were all early. I wanted the mid that's why we went low. Usually it peaks in late may plus 700 Cfs so plenty of water most of that drainage is having a good snow year Casper mt is above average
Old 02-21-2012   #7

Hey Mike...

Mike,
Have not met the cousin. Sounds positive, though. Before getting everything rollin' on something this complex, do you feel like the interest in the local and surrounding paddling communities will justify the race? A few years back, we had a guarantee of enough folks to come race, help out and set safety, but the creeking community is much, much smaller these days and somewhat fragmented. Perhaps a post here, boatertalk and the TGR site to assess the level of interest in racing and partying out at Big T. Let me know what you think and anyone else reading this, chime in if you are into it.
Best,
Dave
Old 02-21-2012   #8

Bozeman, Montana
I think it could be awesome if it's included into the western point series..I'm sure the young bucks aswell as the rest of the community would all come out of the woodwork. Just nothing to bring everybody together. Specially the creeking community.
If there's just 20 or so of us I say pass on the permits and car pool in a couple cars from big timber and call it a friendly race between buddies
Old 02-21-2012   #9

I think all or none would be wise....

Hate to get popped trying to slip one past the goalie up there... I just looked at some old footage from 2007. Damn that was a fun race! Running all those rapids non-stop with good safety is so, so satisfying. Keep me posted.
Dave