Creek Cleaning Questions - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-26-2009   #1

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Creek Cleaning Questions

With the weather being so bad yesterday, nothing else to do, we cleaned out one our close to home creek runs yesterday.

I am curious how far buzzards go in cleaning their favorite creek runs. Removing logs and dead trees? How about pruning live low hanging bushes willows and trees that extend out and block eddies and best lines in rapids? Are there any laws regarding this work on public lands?

I am also curious if fishermen are down on this or are ok with it? Seems like it gets stuff out of the way, but maybe they want that cover for the fish?

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009   #2

Christopher Creek, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1969
On one corner on a river that flows through USFS lands, the wood is so bad the locals call it "decapitation corner". The 6-8 inch limbs that hang low to the current have to be taken out in low water flow by chainsaw. The FS river rangers came through one year and pruned the mess back but not near enough. Someone got after it correctly just recently. I am sure the FS would have some heartburn over someone just taking this on. Who knows. Pruning anything that overhangs current is a risky business and a project that should not be undertaken lightly.
fdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #3

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1985
Clearing

Yes, there are legal implications for clearing wood. If you do it, awesome, but I wouldn't post about it. I don't think anyone is going to get mad about taking out a tree that is a hazard in a major run, but any creek work in the back country certainly has environmental impacts that could make the wrong person mad and have implications for those who do it.
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
Pruning causes global warming by reducing shade.........stop global warming through non pruning of wild plant life........
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
There was as good AW article on the subject:
American Whitewater - stewardship:woody_debris
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #6

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Get it out

Remove wood at will. Half the creeks we run would be unboatable if locals did not do Fall Flossing sessions. Also a great way to really see what your favorite creeks look like, where the hazards are, escape routes, ect..
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #7

The next zone, .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
Remove wood at will. Half the creeks we run would be unboatable if locals did not do Fall Flossing sessions. Also a great way to really see what your favorite creeks look like, where the hazards are, escape routes, ect..
Yea what he said...

Caus sometimes you get all fired up to run this...

And show up to find...

Then someone has to go in like this...

I guess we do what ever it takes up here to make sure all the local creeks are as clean as they can be.. It is fair to say that none of the creeks in the Ark valley would be runable if they were not looked after every year...

Do what you have to do. Also a big thanks to anyone who takes the time in the fall to do a little cleanin up !!!!
Old 10-27-2009   #8

Teacher, Fort Collins, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDNEK View Post
Yea what he said...

I guess we do what ever it takes up here to make sure all the local creeks are as clean as they can be.. It is fair to say that none of the creeks in the Ark valley would be runable if they were not looked after every year...

Do what you have to do. Also a big thanks to anyone who takes the time in the fall to do a little cleanin up !!!!
I just got out the chainsaw this weekend to trim down the huge blue spruce in the front yard of my new house. But that isn't nearly as cool as Ernst rapelling down into the cauldron with a chainsaw...Love that photo.
Buckrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Chief, let me know what you got after. Always up for a wood mission. Floss away.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009   #10

Aspen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
If a tree has been in the river long enough for gravel to pile up on it and pour over, I let it stay. These trees are great trout habitat. Any new strainer I cut. I have cut a lot of undercut trees which are toppled over but still alive. One also has to consider how many people will boat the stream. I cut Castle creek near Aspen about every other year, and pretty much everything goes.

I have a friend who got a $75 fine by a dick ranger for a sapling cut for a hot dog stick. Loggers will mow over six inch diameter aspen trees with their skidders just to haul out pine trees. There is no fair yardstick to measure what should be allowed. I would just be stealthy. I have looked at my old dirt bike mufflers and am thinking of welding one onto the Exhaust flange of my Husky.
ZGjethro is offline   Reply With Quote