Creek boat vs River Running Boat? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-14-2009   #1

Creek boat vs River Running Boat?

I,ve been playboating mostly for the past couple of years and feel that my skills have progressed to the point where running rivers and creeks might be fun(as opposed to swimming them). I've been looking at river running and creeking boats. I cant decide between the two. People rave about both. If a creek boat can run everything, why would someone want a river runner? Some people say a river runner can do just about everthing a creeker can do. Is their something I'm missing?

etnguppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
its all about the hull. displacement(creek boat) vs. planning(river runner). it all preference.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
its all about the hull. displacement(creek boat) vs. planning(river runner). it all preference.
There are a lot of differences outside the hull, and several creek boats have planing hulls...CKS did a good job here: How to Purchase a Kayak
IkayakNboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2009   #4
KDT

Telluride, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1492
Send a message via AIM to acetomato
Hull and edges. A true creeker is less likely to hang up on rocks because of the lack of any edges.

-And casper meant to say planing not planning. You should be planning in either boat.
Old 05-14-2009   #5

surrounded by mountains, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1981
what do you do most?

Bottom line is: If only owning a quiver of one, the answer depends on what do you plan to do most, river running or creeking? If mostly river running, then a Diesel, Hero, or Burn would be spectacular for that and some creeking. If mostly creeking, then get a creek boat (Habitat or Rocker as examples). Since you're just transitioning towards either for teh first time, I would encourage you to the river running design first. Not many people are skilled enough to jump into the consequences of creek boating without having run a lot of IV and V rivers first. As you probably are aware, creeking is extremely dangerous. Additionally, I think the Diesel, Hero, or Burn are some of the most excellent boats ever. You would likely be having great fun in one for a long time.
Cheers!
Ken
Old 05-14-2009   #6

Would you say river running boats are more forgiving? I paddled a creek boat last year down lower clear creek and it was like paddling a hotdog. It did everything fine, very forgiving on edge control, tough to get it where you wanted it to go.
etnguppys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #7
KDT

Telluride, Colorado
A river runner is going to be closer to what you're used to. The planing hull and edges will have a similar feel to a playboat. The boats recommended by Ken would be great to try out. There are a lot of people that use heros as their main creekboat (i think the same goes for the burn to- not sure about the diesel). Like i said the big thing will probably be if you do a lot of creeking (especially in shallow, rocky CO creeks) then the edges on the boat will hang up more. And with a planing hull boat higher boofs will start to hurt more.
If you'll be mainly river running, go that direction. As you advance into more creeking you can always pick up a creekboat later.
Old 05-14-2009   #8

Mamba baby Mamba

Quote:
Originally Posted by etnguppys View Post
I,ve been playboating mostly for the past couple of years and feel that my skills have progressed to the point where running rivers and creeks might be fun(as opposed to swimming them). I've been looking at river running and creeking boats. I cant decide between the two. People rave about both. If a creek boat can run everything, why would someone want a river runner? Some people say a river runner can do just about everthing a creeker can do. Is their something I'm missing?
I have several boats and one of my favs is, you guessed it the mamba
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009   #9
KDT

Telluride, Colorado
Which one?

Old 05-14-2009   #10

Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
As they evolved and became super popular, I got into paddling playboats but I never really felt confident in them in bigger water. It seemed like they were holding me back, so I went to the Burn and the difference is huge. In places where I was white-knuckling in my playboat, now I'm charging in my Burn. Last summer though, as the flows mellowed out, my Burn started to feel like a tank and I wanted something more nimble. Not a dedicated play boat, but something with at least some surf capabilities. I like the feel of the Jackson Fun, but I don't like fussing with all those strings and inflatable bladders in the outfitting, so I'm still looking. For straight river running the Burn is crazy good.
snowmelt is offline   Reply With Quote