Creek Boat Advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-06-2014   #1

BV, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Creek Boat Advice

First off, I know this topic gets beaten to death on here, but I'll ask anyway. I have the opportunity to purchase a new boat and am currently considering a karma, shiva and stomper. I'm coming from a burn and felt that it had more edge than I like. In a new boat, I'm looking for something fast, stable, and with more volume. I know I should go and demo the boats, but I'd like to get one within 2 weeks for a spring break trip, so an order will need to be placed soon. I'd be in a karma or shiva m or a stomper 80. Planning on running mainly the class 5 stuff in CO for now. Any thoughts? Thanks, Ty

tskoe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014   #2

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Shiva vs Stomper…

Have thoughts on theses two boats, both are awesome, but have very different characteristics. Shiva very fast shaped like a missile, I as well have paddled a burn and feel it's a bit edgy. I believe with the pointy bow on the Shiva it pierces the water then with that wider bow stabilizes as it comes out of drops and holes. Both are quite forgiving when getting off line and getting worked. The Stomper, all thou not as fast and sporty, has an auto booting feeling and in drops and holes seems to resurface faster than the Shiva but not a depictable as were it comes up. The outfitting is easy to work with and very comfy.

We all have different styles of paddling, with body types, strength, etc. If its fast is what you looking for the Shiva fits the bill, maybe go with the Large for a bit more volume? Have some clients that were around that 165lb-195lb thought Med, but went in Large, only 2 inches different in length, but 12 more gallons. They all carry a lot of safety gear, extra paddle, camera, etc. Are mostly Gore boaters and felt the volume was a plus when demoed both sizes. Good luck, hope this was some help…

TMCK

Keep The Hairy Side Up….
TenMileCreekKayaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #3
Roy

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Not to further muddy the waters, but I'd add the Recon to your list. I demo'd all those boats last year and ended up going with the Recon (83). Final decision came down to the Stomper vs. Recon, which had the edge on outfitting. The only downside is that it's heavy.
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2014   #4

BV, Colorado
I'm only 140 without gear so a large would probably be pushing it. Every review that I've seen talks about what the boats do well. What are their weaknesses?
Old 03-06-2014   #5

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
For me, it would be Shiva all the way. Once you spend an hour or two adjusting the outfitting, it's solid. Whereas the Jackson outfitting is easy to adjust, but it will occasionally slip. I have heard too many people selling their stomper for something else.

The Shiva is SO nice. It was a tough choice for me, but I liked having more edge, so I went with the Burn. Since you don't like the edge, Shiva is the way to go. It has great plastic, bomber outfitting, and it's super fast.

Have fun making your choice!

P.S. Why not demo a boat for your trip? RMA rents out boats for multi-days.
boonekayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I too am going to recommend the medium Shiva. I have been paddling it for 2 years now and still love the boat. It's fast and predictable, and I think it auto boots quite well. I am in your same weight range and want to offer another point for consideration. The fit of the Shiva as compared to the Stomper or Recon is drastically different. I am about a 31 inch inseam and I find the other two boats to hold my knees way too far out for comfort. Also, the side walls at my hips always seem too high, and I'm even long in the torso. The Shiva feels much more fitted, but is still fully 80 gallons. Feeling comfortable and properly fit in a boat will almost always make perform better.

Good luck! The right boat will find you.

rivervibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #7

BV, Colorado
Well, after sitting in both the shiva, recon, stomper and karma, I decided to go with the recon 83. I'm putting in my order this afternoon. Reading the reviews and talking to owners made the boat sound like exactly what I want. The outfitting was the key difference maker. The recon fit me so much better than any of the other boats. I'm stoked to start paddling this boat. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-11-2014   #8

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Having only paddled the recon on the paddle out of Gore and the stomper outfitted for a girl and much too small for me, I bought the shiva. I liked the color choices best
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #9

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I believe the colors offered for the Recon indicate that it is much faster than the Shiva.
El Scotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014   #10

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Au Contraire, my boat is called "faster than the speed of white"
I will, of course, paint it black when it arrives.
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote