Creek Boat Advice - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-10-2008   #1

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
Creek Boat Advice

I'm in the market for my first creek boat and need some advice.

I've been paddling 2 years, 6 ft and 215... want this boat to start creeking in, overnight trips and for large volume/technical rivers.

I've looked at/paddled the Habitat (both sizes), the Fluid Solo Large, the Large Burn (still need to paddle the Medium), the H3 255 and the Diesel 75.

What's the group's thoughts on these/other boats for the type of applications that I'm looking at? What about size?

I've talked to about 5 different shops and read every review I can find and am now confused (self-inflicted over thinking).

Any insight from those who actually paddle these types of boats would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

j

spartankayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008   #2

Moscow, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1995
Out of the boats that you've tried, which one did you like best? Which one felt the most comfortable and confidence inspiring to you? How would you describe your paddling style: are you a driver or a floater?

All of the models you mentioned will work for what you want to do. I would advise that the medium Burn will be a bit small for you, especially for overnighters and high water. If you like the style of the Burn you should also have a look at the new Jackson Hero series, which is just starting to be molded. I would think that you would want the largest size offered, especially if you are planning to self support.
phlyingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #3
River Gypsy

Swannanoa, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1986
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartankayaker View Post
I've been paddling 2 years, 6 ft and 215... want this boat to start creeking in, overnight trips and for large volume/technical rivers.

I've looked at/paddled the Habitat (both sizes), the Fluid Solo Large, the Large Burn (still need to paddle the Medium), the H3 255 and the Diesel 75.
You are absolutely too heavy for a medium Burn to perform for you. No matter what creek boat you get, make sure that you aren't too heavy for it. Overweighting a boat will cause a serious decline in performance - you don't necessarily want the smallest boat you can cram yourself into like some people do with playboats.

I would try the Everest if I was you - it will fit you best out of the Pyranha offerings, and I hear it's a bit easier to paddle than even a Burn.

You should also check out maybe the MegaRocker and Jefe Grande. I personally like the edgier/semi-planing hulls of the Pyranha boats better (and they will feel more natural if you're coming from a playboat). It's just a matter of preference, though, and you should try both planing and displacement hulls before you decide.

Leland
Team Pyranha
Creek Boating Instructor
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2008   #4

Bham, Washington
Paddling Since: 1997
oh boy here it comes...
Old 01-10-2008   #5
gh

pnw, Colorado
Force is right. This is like asking which is better Ford or Chevy or Honda vs Toyota. I would say buy something that you have tried and liked. Your taste will probably change as you improve anyways.
On the Burn, I would follow Lelands advice and go with the large if you choose to go that way.
Old 01-10-2008   #6

I would go with a Toyota.
dasunluva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008   #7

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Force View Post
oh boy here it comes...
do you ever miss a post? you must be online the entire time you're awake....
Old 01-12-2008   #8

Ft Collins, Colorado
I like my Honda, but I'd buy a Toyota if it felt good and I got a good deal. In the meantime, I'm in a Diesel for much the same type of paddling, and I like it. It's really a bit small for self support. Two of my friends bought Diesels last year (partly on my advice and experience with the boat) and they're both very happy with the boat (one a 65, one a 75). Not the best choice for full-on creeking, but more fun for 'old-style' class five and I think it handles fine in big water once you get used to it. It took me a couple weeks (i.e., more than a couple runs) to get fully comfortable with the edges behind the seat - they seemed to 'catch' a bit more than I was used to.

As for Force - yeah, there are a bunch of us still dreaming about water rising, ice melting, and in the meantime getting our vicarious thrills by reading these postings. I'm glad others are posting - keeps me going during the winter, with boats tied to the roof of the garage instead of enjoying the sunshine on my car racks.

johng
johng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008   #9

Teacher
I would back up what leland says. Go big. I am 5' 10 and 179.9999 ish. I can fit in and paddle the Remix 59, 69, or 79 but the 79 is my choice because it floats me high so I actually feel like it is as easy to turn as the 69. It self supports well,creeks reasonably well, Supremely comfortable, and is wicked fast. The Jefe Grande would be a better creek specific boat but I have been having a hard time keeping my instructors out of the Remix and letting the students paddle them.

Regardless of the brand you paddle, go big. Once you get over the boat in the arm pit thing that switching from a playboat does, it is sweet having some speed.

Three kids necessitates the Honda. Just bought a diesel Burb though, but that hasn't been such a great decision so far.

Force - When they lob the soft balls in I got to swing.
Old 01-13-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartankayaker View Post
I'm in the market for my first creek boat and need some advice.

What's the group's thoughts on these/other boats for the type of applications that I'm looking at? What about size?

I've talked to about 5 different shops and read every review I can find and am now confused (self-inflicted over thinking).

Any insight from those who actually paddle these types of boats would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

j
I would also look at the Mystic from Bliss-Stick. I used paddle a Nomad and Solo (Lg). I think the Mystic is more responsive and safer (better plastic). You should demo as much as you can.
Bliss-Stick.com
perropirana is offline   Reply With Quote