Crazy man and his boy on Middle Fork - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-30-2009   #1

Crazy man and his boy on Middle Fork

This is a call to everyone and anyone who might have floated the Middle Fork of Salmon on or about the dates of Sep 26-28, 1997. It was this year that my father went throught a serious midlife crisis and prepared a Coleman Ramx 16 Costco bought canoe for a run at the Middle Fork. He was so determined to go, that after everyone said no, he turned to me and asked if I had his back on this one...... Post cursing him as a stupid old man, I reluctantly agreed to be his partner in this endevour of his. Few people who knew of this thought we would return alive. We put in at Boundary Creek and realized our fate when we ran ashore trying to get our team on the same page within the first 200 yrds. Oh boy, only 105 miles to go!! What had I gotten myself into this time? It didn't take long for me to realize that this crazy old man behind me was not all that crazy at all. He was living the dream of a lifetime, and putting memories into his sons heart that would bring him back to the river as often as possible. As we had prepared for the trip, a camara was never mentioned to be put in. We didn't even take a precast off picture at Boundary. It wasn't until about 95 miles into the trip that a kayaker came floating by and kicked off a conversation. We had stopped on the left side of the river to put a quick duck tape patch over the hull, where multiple rocks had left their mark. The kayaker was nice enough to take a picture of my father and I on the side of the river with our makeshift whitewater canoe. I am not sure if he did this to prove to his buddies after he told them what he saw or what. This is my plea to all of you out there. If you know of a picture of the redhead and his dad in a green coleman canoe, can you please contact me and possibly get the picture to me. I had on a blue life jacket and my dad had a purple. All we have from the trip is the canoe, sitting in the backyard of my parents house. Now my kids are asking why grandpa keeps that old canoe around...... If they only knew about that awesome trip over those frightfully exciting three days. Thanks for your help in searching for the only picture of this trip.

FloatMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009   #2

Congrats on your run! If you haven't already done so, post your story on kayakidaho.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatMedic View Post
This is a call to everyone and anyone who might have floated the Middle Fork of Salmon on or about the dates of Sep 26-28, 1997. It was this year that my father went throught a serious midlife crisis and prepared a Coleman Ramx 16 Costco bought canoe for a run at the Middle Fork. He was so determined to go, that after everyone said no, he turned to me and asked if I had his back on this one...... Post cursing him as a stupid old man, I reluctantly agreed to be his partner in this endevour of his. Few people who knew of this thought we would return alive. We put in at Boundary Creek and realized our fate when we ran ashore trying to get our team on the same page within the first 200 yrds. Oh boy, only 105 miles to go!! What had I gotten myself into this time? It didn't take long for me to realize that this crazy old man behind me was not all that crazy at all. He was living the dream of a lifetime, and putting memories into his sons heart that would bring him back to the river as often as possible. As we had prepared for the trip, a camara was never mentioned to be put in. We didn't even take a precast off picture at Boundary. It wasn't until about 95 miles into the trip that a kayaker came floating by and kicked off a conversation. We had stopped on the left side of the river to put a quick duck tape patch over the hull, where multiple rocks had left their mark. The kayaker was nice enough to take a picture of my father and I on the side of the river with our makeshift whitewater canoe. I am not sure if he did this to prove to his buddies after he told them what he saw or what. This is my plea to all of you out there. If you know of a picture of the redhead and his dad in a green coleman canoe, can you please contact me and possibly get the picture to me. I had on a blue life jacket and my dad had a purple. All we have from the trip is the canoe, sitting in the backyard of my parents house. Now my kids are asking why grandpa keeps that old canoe around...... If they only knew about that awesome trip over those frightfully exciting three days. Thanks for your help in searching for the only picture of this trip.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009   #3
The Russian

SLC, Utah
Paddling Since: 2005
Also you might want to try Yahoo mailing lists. There is utahrafters and idahowhitewater

utahrafters : Connecting river rats
idahowhitewater : Idaho Whitewater

Good luck, and what a great story.

I assume you did take your dad down rivers a few times?
kazak4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
I hope that you find that photo. If so, please post it here for us.

I also hope you could write more about this trip. It is a very good story.
dak_sunset is offline   Reply With Quote