Crap in Filter Plant - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-09-2008   #1

Crap in Filter Plant

If anyone looked at Filter Plant today they saw it looked like dark chocolate milk, siltier than I have ever seen the colorado river. Talking to the forest ranger he said they had to drain seamen reservoir for the last few weeks which is why filter plant has been so much higher than the runs upstream. I am guessing this is the sediment from the bottom of the res, but its ridiculous. Sediment like that will kill all of the fish in the river and potentially wreck the ecosystem for the river below the north fork for a long time if it continues. Also I have to work in Filter Plant and I'd rather not take people kayaking through mud. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this, and if this is a mistake or if it was planned.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
It may not be that bad as long as there is decent flow to keep the sediment in suspension. Most of it should continue downstream to the next res. Back in 95, I yaked Parkdale at 6G and the river was so full of sediment, when you flipped you could not see the surface unless your face was within a inch or two! It was pretty eerie rolling. The river survived.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #3

Chico, California
Paddling Since: 2003
Black water

Yeah that was pretty wacky, I have NEVER seen a river of that color before, almost had a black hue to it. I am curious to know what it looks like today because it wasn't that color on Sunday, hopefully it goes away pretty quickly. I am certainly not an expert on the subject by any means but rivers flash flood and landslides happen and the river lives on. My guess is that if it is short lived and there is nothing overtly toxic in the sediment that the river will be largely un-phased. As for your gear...well you might wanna hose it off when you get home! Diiiiiirty.

just a guess.
rideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2008   #4
SarahofTheWaves

FoCo,NoCo, Colorado
upstream

Having paddled across the reservoir where this gunk is coming from, I can tell you there is a lot more stink coming down. I blame it on the cows in the basin.

I wouldn't take a potential swimmer down the FP while the North Fork is running.

sarah
sarahkonamojo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #5

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
there was a good sized fire in that neck of the woods a few years back. could that dirty hue be caused by ash from the fire?
Old 06-10-2008   #6

Quote:
there was a good sized fire in that neck of the woods a few years back. could that dirty hue be caused by ash from the fire?
Thats kinda what we were thinking it kinda looks like a river after a volcanic eruption.
BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #7
JJH

Greeley has to completely drain Seamans res for repairs. So this is just tons of sediment, which probably contains some ash in it.
JJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #8

Ft. Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 06
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJH View Post
Greeley has to completely drain Seamans res for repairs. So this is just tons of sediment, which probably contains some ash in it.
So where do all of seamans fish go? I know where i'm fishing!
dfoxslim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008   #9

golden
Mmmm cow poo.

Watch for the mad cow
Old 06-10-2008   #10

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I have seen some rivers get pretty nasty after fires and mudslides. Give it a week or so. It'll wash out. But for now, plenty of other rivers are running.
RiverGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote