crandall creek info - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-20-2004   #1

crandall creek info

just curious as to if anyone has done this near yellowstone....any info would be nice. What are the best flows, etc.

thanks,
Matt

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004   #2

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1992
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/2481/
badkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004   #3

It's in the Montana guide book on the Clark's Fork section. Supposedly there is one cool 20 footer and some other great drops. It runs into the takeout for the Honeymooners stretch, also the put in for the box. It's been done plenty by locals. I haven't seen it with water.
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2004   #4

Cody, Wyoming
Crandall creek is a great creek with some exciting drops. For the most part it's easy class 4 except at low flows it may be class 3. There is no 20 footer just one drop that probably drops 15 feet within 20 yards or so. A great run with some play spots also. The run is in the Montana surf book but the run is in Wyoming. Dont forget about the Shoshone in Cody it's running a little over a 1000 right now and is the sweetest class 4 play run around.

Aaron
www.coldfear.com
COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004   #5

Cool site Aaron!
ebaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004   #6

This has been pretty much covered, but I would add a little about the season. Pre season it is best left for snowmobiles. In the regular season, everyone who knows what is good for them stays away from the Clark's Fork drainage in general (exept the lower near Cody). It will come down later in the summer--try to catch it when the Clark's fork comes down. I don't know what it looks like in Crandall at high water, but if you look at the pics on AW you will see us paddling under logs chocked 6+' over our heads (I think those pics are there at least). This is an amazing place to kayak, camp, and hang out. Buy a MTSurf book, it will be worth it. Then come on up.
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004   #7

Just a little more about the season. Some friends and I hit Stix and Stones on the Clark's fork around mid July. It was almost done. On August 7-8ish we hit the Box of the Clark's fork. Both runs at high flow would be beyond scary. Even at the levels we hit it at it's mostly class V and up. (Class VI if you consider VI runnable). Major consequences, and that includes the runnable stuff. Nonetheless both runs are some of the most beautiful places that I have ever seen in my life.

Crandall Creek and Honeymooners, and the float out of the Box (lower) are the easier runs, and I bet you could hit all of them in one trip if you timed it well.
Old 04-21-2004   #8

Cody, Wyoming
We usaully start running crandall now untill mid may obviusly depending on the flows but typicaly it starts running early when the Clarks fork is running at 1.8 feet. there is a pretty big window before and after the high flows. Dont forget about Sunlight creek it's a great run also during the same time periods, but it can be run at very high flows without becoming a death run. Littlerock creek is also a fun run in the.

Aaron Mulkey
COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004   #9

Aaron,

Tell us more about Sunlight and Littlerock. Never done these, would love some beta. Thanks!
mike a is offline   Reply With Quote