CRACKED BOAT QUESTION? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2008   #1

Skywalker Construction, LLC
CRACKED BOAT QUESTION?

Wondering if adding foam to the bottom of the seat/pillar on a creek boat would cause it to crack easier than if I just leave it the way it is from the factory. Do you think it is better to have a little room for play or make it so the seat is tight to the hull?

HANSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008   #2

4CRS, Durango, Colorado
Drop a Few

I think that if you dropped a few pounds you would not be breaking boats.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
AFTER A FALL A CLIMBER USUALLY RETIRES THEIR ROPE. AFTER A COUPLE HUNDRED CREEK RUNS MAYBE YOU SHOULD RETIRE YOUR CRAFT TO CLASS II.
hullflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2008   #4

There was a discussion about some common breaks in hulls at one point on here and I think the consensus was that putting some foam between the edges of the outfitting (like under the seat, center pillar) would actually make it less likely to crack because you are eliminating the contact of hard plastic on hard plastic and adding some padding in between. Damn, that was all one sentence. Sorry. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any other experiences on the matter.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #5

sand is a problem

On the original nomads they didn't put foam between the seat and hull. 2 things happen, when rocks hit the hull and scrape they will hit the seat and have potential to dig deeper (this is not part fo CUgirls crap), the 2nd problem is sand gets between the seat and hull and will wear down the hull. On my first nomad I moved the seat after 2 seasons and the wear issue is obvious. The problem was so bad that I bitchathane taped the whole area and then padded out the seat after moving it.
The new nomads have fixed this and I can't speak for other creekers.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #6
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Another method sbratt showed me is to leave your creekboat in the garage and never use it. It will never crack.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #7

KSC is real good at the dry rock Jefe crack. He sees a rock that used to be a good boof at 600 on BR and thinks he can boof it dry at 400. Then he wonders why he has 5 gallons of water in his Jefe.

What KSC should do is man-up and buy Mike's Nomad since the most action it's seen was a boof from his truck at 60 mph.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008   #8
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah, well it was important to test my sketchy plastic weld job on the old beater boat. Easy come, easy go. Next time I'll leave my boat in the garage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbratt View Post
KSC is real good at the dry rock Jefe crack. He sees a rock that used to be a good boof at 600 on BR and thinks he can boof it dry at 400. Then he wonders why he has 5 gallons of water in his Jefe.

What KSC should do is man-up and buy Mike's Nomad since the most action it's seen was a boof from his truck at 60 mph.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote