Costa Rica Pacuare River - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2010   #1

North Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Costa Rica Pacuare River

Anyone done the Pacuare River, also know of any good Costa Rica River Guide Books? Others in the area are Rio Sarapiqui or Rio Renovacion. Thanks for any replies.

nicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010   #2

North Denver, Colorado
Answered the guide book Q Chasing Jaguars, info on the Pacuare would be nice think this is the run we'll do.
Old 05-21-2010   #3

Leadvillian, Colorado
usually the easiest logistics for running the pacuare are to spend the night before the trip in turrialba

there are several outfitters in town that run the lower pacuare nearly every day

you can walk around town and see who has a trip going out and how much they'll charge you to tag along, remember to ask about lunch which is usually served, and you can rent boats and equipment if needed

the hotel interamericano is usually where boaters stay, but I like a place about a block to the west called el rio, the owner's miguel and he's a real nice guy

as far as the river goes, if you're not a competent class IV / V boater then it's probably worth it for your group to chip in and hire a guide to follow, the section is 18 miles long and has 5 bigger rapids and dozens of class III's

good luck!
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2010   #4

North Denver, Colorado
Ya I'm going down there for a wedding my good friend has lived there for years and she is marrying with a native. We land in San Jose and the wedding is in Puerto Viejo, Rio Pacuare runs right near my destination. Instead of buying a shuttle I think we'll raft there. Would love to bring my gear and run it myself but thats not the purpose of this trip. I think of it as a free shuttle Rio Pacuare is rated a top 10 run in the world!
Old 05-24-2010   #5

Leadvillian, Colorado
exploradores outdoors will pick you up at your accommodations in PV and bring you back at the end of the day, or if you're going your first or last day they'll pick you up or take you back to San Jose - enjoy both the wedding and the rafting!

best of luck to your friend and his native
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #6

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I rafted the Pacuare just yesterday with Rios Tropicales and had a blast! Their guides are great and they put on further up the river than most companies. The views are amazing and the rapids are even better. I would have photos but my sleep deprived self left the camera on the bus. They also left you wear your own gear which is a nice change from the companies in CO, also the water is just a touch warmer.
Promethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010   #7
CBrow

Norwood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Did the Pucuare about 10 years ago. Went with Rios Tropicales and spent the night at their Jungle lodge half way down. Highly recommended. Great food and accomodations and fun whitewater. See the book Costa Rica Whitewater for more info. Have fun!
CBow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costa rica