Costa Rica or Ecuador?? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-30-2012   #1

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Costa Rica or Ecuador??

Anyone have a suggestion on where to kayak this fall or early winter for a week or two? I am thinking of heading south, Costa Rica or Ecuador, I really want to get back on my game with some good flows.

eddyalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012   #2
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Yeah, they both have lots of good paddling options. Costa Rica is closer and plane tickets ought to be quite a bit cheaper. Ecuador is a little more exotic (everybody and their mother has been to Costa Rica) and a bit cheaper once you get there. Panama has good boating as well with lots of whitewater concentrated over a small area, but I heard recently that dams have destroyed of a lot of the runs out there - not sure how true it is - anyone?

The Costa Rica rainy season extends until late Nov, early Dec. The tail end of the season tends to be a good time go but depends a little bit on what kind of whitewater you're hoping to do. I think Ecuador tends to be more consistent all the way through fall/winter. In Panama you want to be there during the rainy season, so a little bit earlier: Sept to mid Nov I think.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
As posted above, Ecuador and Costa Rica are great places to kayak.

If you go to Borha or Tena there will be runs out the wazoo close by for you to enjoy in Ecuador.

CR around Turrillba is much the same.

You cannot go wrong on either. CR might be easier for the reasons stated above.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2012   #4

Ecuador!

Well, of course, I am biased, but come to Ecuador!

Ecuador is great in late fall and early winter. It has a TON of variety of rivers in a small area. There are countless Class III to V rivers within a 100 km radius, so whatever your style, you'll be happy with Ecuador.

As KSC stated, it is definitely more "exotic" than Costa Rica if you like that sort of thing. The people are super friendly, the climate is perfect (not too hot, not to cold) and the rivers are world class.

So...you really can't go wrong.

If you want a guided trip, you should, of course, check us out--www.smallworldadventures.com

But if you plan to go on your own and you just want more beta, I'm happy to help.

Just shoot me an email at [email protected]

Darcy
darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #5

Roaring Fork Valley, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcyg View Post
Well, of course, I am biased, but come to Ecuador!

Ecuador is great in late fall and early winter. It has a TON of variety of rivers in a small area. There are countless Class III to V rivers within a 100 km radius, so whatever your style, you'll be happy with Ecuador.

As KSC stated, it is definitely more "exotic" than Costa Rica if you like that sort of thing. The people are super friendly, the climate is perfect (not too hot, not to cold) and the rivers are world class.

So...you really can't go wrong.

If you want a guided trip, you should, of course, check us out--www.smallworldadventures.com

But if you plan to go on your own and you just want more beta, I'm happy to help.

Just shoot me an email at [email protected]

Darcy
What she said!
Blade&Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #6

chicago, Illinois
I was at EC last winter

great whitewater, affordable, you can be in EC and paddle everyday, party hard every night, yet spend less than a thousand a month.
romerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #7

Englewood, CO
Paddling Since: 2002
Small World

There's no way to get more boating in than going with SWA in Ecuador. It's also the only way to be on the best run for the current flow/ your ability level. I love boating with them; they're tons of fun even though following them is a reminder that you have no skills. I'm guessing that this is what playing basketball with Michael Jordan would be like.

Stacey
sfornst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #8

Jenks, Oklahoma
feedback on what Darcy posted about Ecuador

I think SWA built the first specialized kayakers lodge there on the Rio.

I remember staying in their place on maybe the first season it opened. We were amazed at what was accomplished with hand labor and it just gets better and better as time goes by.

It is an awesome place to stay with everything and more a boater wants.

Hot showers, cold beer, awesome food, built in gear drying racks, comfortable rooms, friendly people and did I mention right on the Rio with a put in or take out a few yards from the lodge.

It is a bit longer flight than CR,but well worth it.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #9

chicago, Illinois
also

if you fly to EC direct from miami, it's around 300 round trip.
romerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012   #10

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Send a message via AIM to erdvm1
Done both would recommend ecuador with SMA
erdvm1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costa rica