Costa Rica in January? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-12-2012   #1

buena vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Costa Rica in January?

I know rainy season ends in November/December, but does anyone know if something class IV/V might still be running?

turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012   #2

Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
if I recall correctly I think everything should be in for another month or so. and the pacuari is open year round. man thats an awesome river!
Old 11-12-2012   #3

Farmington, Utah
How much does a trip like that cost airfare, and everything. Ballpark figure will be enough.
Flying_Spaghetti_Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2012   #4

Waha, Ida'maho
Paddling Since: 01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
How much does a trip like that cost airfare, and everything. Ballpark figure will be enough.
I wish I knew. I lived there so I just took the bus and borrowed a kayak. But Im sure you can the folks at Rios Tropicales or Rafiki Safari Lodge. I remember the travel from florida being something stupid like a 20 minute flight. when hurricane season would hit the floridians would just hop on a flight for the weekend til the storm passed and then zip home afterwards.....
Old 11-13-2012   #5

buena vista, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying_Spaghetti_Monster View Post
My wife and I are driving down. It's mostly a surf trip, but I'd take my boat and gear if there was some paddling to be done. We'll also be in Panama, but later, and figured the kayaking would be done for sure by the time we get there.

So it shouldn't cost too much until we get our truck stolen.
Old 11-13-2012   #6

bc, CA
Paddling Since: 2007
I was in Costa Rica January 2012. We paddled the Sarapiquí, The Lower Rio Pejibaye, and 3 sections of the Pacuare. The Pejibaye was low and bony but the Pacuare was fantastic.
brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #7

Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 94
Send a message via Yahoo to Gary E
Yes Jan will have some good class 5 early. Patria, pacifico are all you need. Ferdinand has boats. Also hotel mi teirra (cacho) can hook you up
Gary E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012   #8

buena vista, Colorado
sounds good. thanks.
Old 11-14-2012   #9
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm no expert, but my understanding is there are generally less creeking options as you get out of the rainy season but there will likely still be some goods in Jan and bigger drainages will be no problem. Probably best to just to get the local beta when you get down there. Even though you want to be in Panama during the rainy season for boating, my understanding is the Rio Chiriqui Viejo in Panama, but along the Costa Rican border runs close to year round and has a steeper section of whitewater on it - might check it out on your way down there. Central America surf road trip sounds like a good time - am jealous.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012   #10

Edmond, Oklahoma
Paddling Since: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
My wife and I are driving down. It's mostly a surf trip, but I'd take my boat and gear if there was some paddling to be done. We'll also be in Panama, but later, and figured the kayaking would be done for sure by the time we get there.

So it shouldn't cost too much until we get our truck stolen.
if its a surf trip, keep it to surfing. i drove down there from san diego in 92 via ferry from cabo. if you are a surfer your just going to have more fun surfing than kayaking. trying to haul all your boating stuff when you can just have a couple boards and trunks isnt worth it bru! get your surf on and forget kayaking. if your a kayaker and dont know how to surf,then the situation is different.
robfather is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costa rica