Costa Rica in February - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-11-2009   #1

Deep River, Ontario
Paddling Since: 2005
Costa Rica in February

Anyone know if ww kayaking (Class III/IV) in CR is decent in mid February?

We're planning a trip there from about Feb 8 thru Feb 22.
I hear Hotel Interamericano is the place to got to hook up with other paddlers, shuttles etc.
Anyone else planning to be there at that time?

Thanks for any advice at all.

Mike

bealem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2009   #2

Seattle, Washington
I was down there in Feb two years ago and paddled the Pacuare and Upper Savegre. It's their dry season so depending on the random rain storm, it could be pretty low. Both of the runs we did were on the lower side but still fun.
Yonder_River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009   #3

Winter Park, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
As Yonder said it is dry season there but the rivers are greatly changed by rain, so hope for a good soaker. The Pacuare and Savegre are fun even at low flows. If in that area make sure to hit Dominical and Manual Antonio.
bigwatertoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2009   #4

Steamboat, Colorado
I lived down there for awhile and was talking to a friend the other day who said that it's an El Nio year and they are going to have very little water. He checks in on this forum sometimes, he may chime in here...
conmihupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009   #5

denver,lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
yo bro go in to me web www.chinokayak.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by conmihupa View Post
I lived down there for awhile and was talking to a friend the other day who said that it's an El Nio year and they are going to have very little water. He checks in on this forum sometimes, he may chime in here...
I am from costa rica the river are going to be low in February is okay to kayak not the best,I am on me way octuber 28 to november 25 is thes work for you contact me or I will help you on your trip for february I am going to kayak, 10 rivers 6 waterfall and the best cayak surfing f.....yea I am ready.chino
sarapiquichino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009   #6

I liked the paddling in Costa Rica but Febuary is less than optimum. If you want good tropical whitewater any winter month you should consider paddling in Ecuador. The class IV there is hard to beat.
LarryV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009   #7

Deep River, Ontario
Hey Larry - thanks for Ecuador tip.
Do you have specific info like where to go? Is there a central spot that kayakers hang out like Turiabla where i could hook up with others, aka Hotel Interamericano in Ecuador?.

Mike
bealem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009   #8

Hey Mike,

Well, of course we'd prefer you just come on a guided trip with us in Ecuador (www.smallworldadventures.com), but if you don't want to do that, you should check out the town of Tena. It's truly hit or miss whether there will be other kayakers there or not (sometimes there are quite a few, sometimes none at all). It wouldn't be a bad idea to try to find people who will be there before you buy the tickets, etc...as Ecuador is definitely not on the beaten kayaker path as much as Costa Rica is.

But if you end up going, you can buy a guidebook through us and rent a kayak if you don't want to bring your own.

Let me know if you have other questions,

Darcy
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bealem View Post
Hey Larry - thanks for Ecuador tip.
Do you have specific info like where to go? Is there a central spot that kayakers hang out like Turiabla where i could hook up with others, aka Hotel Interamericano in Ecuador?.

Mike
darcyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Hey Bealem we are a rafting company called Costa Rica Descents located in La Fortuna, CR. We are doing every kind of trips. Its true that it is the dry season. But if you are in the water in the morning, around 10, it is no problem to have a great trip.
We are doing kayaking of class III\IV, so dont hesitate to contact us. Easiest way on our website> www.costaricadescents.com
Costa Rica Descents is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costa rica