Costa Rica in Dec? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-20-2006   #1

Costa Rica in Dec?

Does anyone have any info on how I could do an affordable week of boating in Costa Rica. Not the $1400 package deal, but something a bit less plush and less expensive? ie. a place to rent boats, maybe a guide for the day and we do our own food and housing?

thanks!

jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006   #2

Skywalker Construction, LLC
Contact costaricarios.com. They are in turrialba and can help with whatever you may need, boats, lodging, guides. Look into the hotel interamericana it is inexpensive and right downtown turrialba.
HANSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #3

Both Turrialba Adventures (run by Diego Rodriguez who speaks english well) and Rainforest World (run by American Phil Coleman) are also good places to go. They offered day trips down the Pacuare (III+) for 30 US dollars per day. This included boat, shuttle, and food. If you're going with a group, it might be cheaper to bring your own boats. When you arrive (from the bus station) in Turrialba, walk down the main street toward the other end of town and you'll find Rainforest World, Tico Rios, and Turrialba Adventures. Costa Rica Rios is on the north end of town. If you like big water, definitely try out the Reventazon Pascua Section. Runs other than the Pacuare require giving notice to the outfitters and mas dinero. Good luck. PM me if you need more details.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006   #4

Also, I would recommend bringing you're own gear such as paddle jacket, helmet, PFD, etc. You're personal gear will be far better than their personal gear. The boats are pretty good for the most part. Stay away from Rios Tropicales because they lie about the ratings of the rivers, give you inferior gear, and charge high prices.
cemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006   #5

Leadvillian, Colorado
I think that is great advice. I am a new guide at Rainforest World and have been living in Turrialba for 2 months. Turrialba has accomodations ranging from $10 or so a night to $50. Do not know how many of us will be able to offer trips for as low as $30 but we will certainly try and there is lots of competition so the price stays low. Definately bring your own pfd, skirt, helmet, and paddling clothes. I´d say if you have at least two people then bundle your paddles and pay for the oversize, but if you do not want to mess with it, we have 4 new werners this season. You can e-mail me if you have any more questions [email protected]
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #6

costa rica in latter november

myself and a buddy will be going with rainforest world for a week. if u have more than 2 people it becomes more affordable, if your group is flexable we could do the same week trip. let me know if you, or anyone you know is interested.
thanks, jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer View Post
Does anyone have any info on how I could do an affordable week of boating in Costa Rica. Not the $1400 package deal, but something a bit less plush and less expensive? ie. a place to rent boats, maybe a guide for the day and we do our own food and housing?

thanks!
rvrrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007   #7

rvrrat, this post is over a year old. I couldn't figure out a Costa Rica trip last year, so this year I'm going to Panama with boqueteoutdooradventures. We went with them a few years ago and had a great time. Don't know how that old post came up, but anyhow, have a good time in C.R.

Jennifer
jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007   #8

Leadvillian, Colorado
A good resource for anyone interested in more info about paddling in CR

Costa Rica Creeking - Whitewater Forum
Matt J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007   #9

My wife and I will be down in costa rica and looking to do some boating on the 22-25 of December. We are solid class III/IV boaters. Will look into some of the advice that has been given. For kayaking do you have to have a guide or is it possible to hook up with knowledgable locals and boat the rivers?
vardaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
costa rica