Corvallis, OR from a paddling standpoint? - Mountain Buzz

Old 12-03-2012   #1

Jackson, Wyoming
Corvallis, OR from a paddling standpoint?

Wife is looking at a job there, deadline is coming up fast. Decent place to live as a paddler? Thoughts on the area in general?

wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012   #2

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Great paddling ranging from a half hour away to three hours to Hood River to eight hours to Cali. The intense season runs from late October to June, and there is always something to paddle. Finding a crew isn't the easiest, but you'll settle in.

Corvallis itself is a nice little college town. It doesn't take long to get outside of town, of course, which is the beauty of it. The first winter's rain will take getting used to, but it is much easier to shovel rain than snow.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #3
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Great paddling, probably a lot more expense in cost of living from where you are at now in Wyoming.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012   #4

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Here is Nate's (in Eugene, 40 miles away) map of whitewater runs that he's written up:

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid...,32.915039&z=5

You'll find Corvallis in the middle.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012   #5

Medford, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1984
I just moved from there. There are many places to go nearby and they have a very active paddle community. Willamette Kayak and Canoe Club Lots of winter paddling, with numerous rivers. It is a bit expensive to live but you can find towns nearby ie Albany that are still reasonably priced. The club published Soggy Sneakers guidebook and they update it frequently. You are also close enough to Portland to tie in with Paddlers there.
rivers2run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012   #6

Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2006
There's quite a variety of runs within the mid-valley. A handful of coastal runs that are rain driven and plenty of Cascade runs that are rain driven early in the year and snow melt later in the year. Lots of boaters around to run with as well. I'm a cat boater but find myself on many kayaker runs in the winter. Lots of water right now, I'll be either on the Siletz or Quartzville Creek hopefully by the end of the week. Corvallis is a nice town, we often go there for a drink or any of many festivals in the summer months. I don't think you'll be disappointed, especially if momma gets a good job too!!!!

Oh ya, Soggy Sneakers is a must too!
DRL River Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #7
Shapp

the grove, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1986
Also the job market in Corvallis is pretty tight there, even tighter than the general "tight" market out there.
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #8

Jackson, Wyoming
Quote:
Originally Posted by shappattack
Also the job market in Corvallis is pretty tight there, even tighter than the general "tight" market out there.
That's what I've seen in my research- I'm an RN and things look really tight there. Have lots of other skills though, so if she gets her job, hopefully I can find something to keep me busy while I wait for a spot at GSRMC.
wyosam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #9

Canberra, OZ
Paddling Since: 2003
I live in Corvegas- there's a class IV-V crew of students in town, hit me up when you get here, we can show you the local stuff.
yakkeranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012   #10

The Bitterroot, Montana
I hear it has more boaters than Corvallis, MT.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote