Copper mountain whitewater? - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-24-2019   #1

Copper mountain whitewater?

I was wandering around Copper mountain last weekend, and noticed they have several rows of boulders in the creek. It reminded me a bit of Boulder creek through Boulder, and it seemed like with more water it might be a fun little run. Anyone ever scope it out during spring run-off?

It wouldn't be worth a special trip, but if I was driving by I thought it might be worth stopping and hitting that and Tenmile creek...

jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2019   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Not sure about the creek you are asking about,but I saw on the news that Ten Mile was full of debris from that major avalanche that closed I-70. I think it is above Officers Gulch,so the main run people do.The ClassV section may be affected.I suppose wood may move downstream.

Are you talking about the tiny creek that runs off of Vail Pass (visible from the highway) as it gets into Copper?I think WWotSR mentions section of 10 Mile somewhere above the V run.

The Snake near Keystone gets run occasionally.

With all the avalanches we had this year there could be a lot of new wood on various runs.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Jeez' a lot of disasters lately ...you've got your avalanches causing gas pipelines to leak into rivers and previous massive forrest fire 's burn scars threatening flash floods in normally skimpy creeks,now two horrific crashes in the metro area in one day....

Does anyone know exactly where the avalanches that closed I-70 and the other one on Hwy.91 were in relation to runs on Tenmile?How bad was the gas leak?It seems they got it contained relatively quickly.(or not?)I was thinking that is a very bad spot for a major spill.It could screw up not only Ten Mile but Lake Dillon,Denver's water supply,and rivers on both slopes ,No.Fk.So.Platte and the main SP plus the Blue and the Colorado.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2019   #4

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
The big avys that affected I-70 were all between Officers Gulch and Copper on I-70, less than a mile east of the Copper exit. The slides affecting 91 were just south of the Copper parking lots. That being said, there were many other slides (large and small) that have put new wood everywhere.
Also, FYI, the gas leak that was caused at Copper was a natural gas pipeline. That means that nothing spilled, but rather released gas into the atmosphere until they turned off the pipes.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019   #5

Looking at it on google maps, the creek is called West Tenmile Creek. How creative.

Here's a map. You can see the boulders they've put in the stream bed.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zg...W6&usp=sharing
jaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019   #6

Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
The big avys that affected I-70 were all between Officers Gulch and Copper on I-70, less than a mile east of the Copper exit. The slides affecting 91 were just south of the Copper parking lots. That being said, there were many other slides (large and small) that have put new wood everywhere.
Also, FYI, the gas leak that was caused at Copper was a natural gas pipeline. That means that nothing spilled, but rather released gas into the atmosphere until they turned off the pipes.
Actually there are two big slides crossing the creek between Officer's Gulch and Frisco as well, two miles west of the Main Street exit. Both are full of logs, rocks, and trees (20' plus deep). I was in a meeting with the most of the county operations (fire, rescue, Road and Bridge, etc) along with the forest service reps yesterday, and at this point they aren't planning on doing any debris removal from the creek unless it moves and dams up at one of the bridges. I don't think there will be a Ten Mile Creek season for boaters this year. Regarding the Creek through the Village, I've often thought it could be okay for kayaking but never seen anyone in it.
heyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019   #7

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Here's some good video from the avalanches crossing ten mile.

https://www.facebook.com/tripp.fay/v...6103458108045/
Old 04-28-2019   #8

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Sorry, I realized after I posted that link, that it is from a closed page on FB.
Old 04-30-2019   #9

West and upper upper 10 Mile

West 10 mile has been run from Vail Pass to Copper in the past- takes some pre-scouting and marking of the low bridges. Not sure about the run through Copper itself though. Upper Upper 10 mile above the junction of 91 and I70 is a fun class IVish with lots of wood potential.
nlove is offline   Reply With Quote