Who makes the best cooler?
Thanks in advance for opinions !

Tiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009   #2

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I've heard from many the more reasonably priced coolers do practically as well (or even better) than the super expensive ones like yeti and such. Spend your money on some foil covered bubble wrap. Layer ice in the bottom, then bubble wrap. Then food, and more bubble wrap. Easy to make it over a week like that. A cooler cover also helps in the heat, keeps the sun off the cooler.
Old 01-19-2009   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I concur with lhowemt. The foil-covered bubblestuff can make an OK cooler a great cooler. I use it on the outside of the cooler as well as inside.
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2009   #4

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggy View Post
Who makes the best cooler?
Thanks in advance for opinions !
I think answers (like mine) will be biased towards what people own.

Personally, I got a great deal (still 300 bones, yikes) for a Yeti Sherpa 145 quart cooler. The thing is bomber! It is easily the best cooler I have ever owned compared to my various other Coleman coolers. It held ice on a week long trip down Deso/Gray with daily cooler openings.

I would also say that cooler performance depends ALOT on how you pack it...I like to freeze as much stuff as possible within reason i.e. when you plan on eating/drinking it. For long trips I like to freeze water in containers so the cooler stays dry as opposed to ice melting and getting everything wet. Also, make sure you freeze or refrigerate all the stuff that will be in the cooler prior to packing the cooler, this reduces the energy needed to cool room temperature items which melts/thaws your ice/frozen stuff fast.

There are lots of good coolers out there but personally I have been very content with my Yeti both for it's cold retention and its bomber material.

Good luck!
calendar16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #5

Land of Lovin, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid...d=HpdCat190071

This is the one we have, built in ice/beverage dividers. We freeze jugs of water for extra ice but it's WAY cheaper than a Yeti and works just as well.
Jensjustduckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Here are my thoughts on Coolers - you can read the full article at Cooler Type and Packing - Rafting Grand Canyon

1) In this case, size matters.
Bigger coolers are more efficient (read: hold ice longer) regardless of brand - this is pure physics. This also assuming that you fill each cooler to the top with ice and cold items.
2) Cooler management makes a difference. This is REALLY important!
If you want cold stuff at day 17 on a summer desert trip you need to:
Have that cooler sealed for the first 2/3 of the trip, probably have it pre-frozen (a local grocery store, meat packer, or ice cream place may help you out), and maybe need to use some dry-ice.
Keep you cooler covered, say with a Paco Pad. The photo of the boat here shows a cooler covered with a blue Paco Pad and a small white insulating cover under the pad.
Try to stay out of the cooler at mid day. Get in/out of the cooler in the shade in the early morning.
3) The expensive coolers seal themselves. The cheap coolers seal up with duct tape or a user installed seal.
4) The cheaper coolers generally have hinges and latches that break somewhat easily and will be replaced by many users. The expensive ones have much stronger hinges and latches.
5) If price is no object the expensive coolers are great. If price matters the cheap coolers may require some TLC, but will work just fine. The expensive coolers don't seem to have superior insulation, just superior construction.
6) There's a very extensive Cooler Test at this page: [1]
Cheap cooler - $59.87 - Rubbermaid Marine Cooler - 150 qt.: [2]
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #7
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I have an Igloo and an Icy Kool. The Icy Kool has a rubber gasket and insulation that is at least twice as thick. I haven't used the Icy Kool yet, but it seems like it will keep stuff cold for at least a few days longer. It definitely looks more durable than the Igloo.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
The Icy Kool has a rubber gasket and insulation that is at least twice as thick.
Remember, bigger isn't always better.....

depends on the type of insulation and it's R-value
Old 01-19-2009   #9

Unincorporated Douglas County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
My thoughts are that the "beefer" construction and tighter seal on the more expensive coolers make them the way to go for long hot trips. Use all the fore mentioned extra cooling tips and you can make ice last a long time.
I personally have a Yeti and bought an Engel for a Grand trip last year that worked great.
That being said, before I got the high dollar units, I used the Igloo's that came with the used rafts that I own and with proper cooler management, they served me well.
rwhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009   #10

Cisco, Utah
Paddling Since: Dawn
Whatever cooler,, I don't think i t matters much...

- BUT -

What you can do is cut some plywood, seal it, rubber cement to the top, take a cheap foam sleaping mat and glue that to the plywood.

Makes for a beefy lid that you can sit on, stand on, jump up and down on - with a cushy seat for sitting on that also adds insulation and impeeds evaporitive features of a nice sunny day.

If you really need to help it stay cool throw a wet towel over it. This evaporates the towel not your ice.

All the same, my first choice has always been the big GOTT coolers.

ps Walmart had some wicked sales on big coolers last fall, like $50 for 100+ quart coolers that seemed as sturdy as any. Don't know if these were ongoing prices or just end of season...
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote