Cool off-radar playspot - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-28-2009   #1

Cool off-radar playspot

Clear Creek at Wadsworth. Surfed it Sun when the Golden guage was in the high 600's and it was pretty damn good. The first wave formed by the slide is very fast and intense. Survival surfing. The one right below that is really sweet and bluntable. It's then followed by a couple of decent and one really good hole under the bridge. And then there's some more good waves downstream in the next 100-200 yards. Hike back up on the bike path. Park at Johnson Park off Wads south of 70.

Advertisement

Old 05-28-2009   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
There's another section between Lowell and Federal that has potential- just below the diversion dam. Channelized, some gradient, etc. Looked OK at 400- I meant to check at higher flow 'cause I lived nearby, but I moved away from the 'hood. 600+ might be worth checking out.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
That is Shopping Cart Falls bro,those holes get pretty stout at 900,same for that Lowell section several good catch on the fly waves at high flows.Down towards the confluence with the So . Platte there are some drops that might be playable at some levels one of them is at least a 3+/4- rocky drop with a good boof,just after the confluence on the SP IS drop that might be interesting high.Clear Creek town run has potential for developing some playspots,has more gradient and reliable flows than Bear ,Cherry, or the SP through town.Cherry has run a few times already,there is a 10 ft. apx. vertical fall 1/2 mile below the damn in a golf course I want to huck.I found a pretty beefy wave where the highline canal dumps into Cherry at flood stage,you otter slide down a concrete ramp into this trashy pile like 4 ft.tall.It is like 100 yds. downstream from one of the better drops the next mile you get 4 easy drops one thatis fun high,has boof,before a big manky drop at Illiff.Bear has some 3ish drops and a playspot in town.

I do believe i'll check on Cherry on the way to Union/ U Hole right now
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2009   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Deepstroke you just kind of casually mention that manky class 5 ish rapid below Coors,1/2 mile above Youngfield,on the lost paddle thread,talk about off the radar!Did you run that shit or just biking by it.That is the only part of CC town run, other than a railyard about 1 mile past Federal[ tresspassing] ,that I havn't at least scouted, have run most of it.Went out to check it out,that is probably the toughest drop on any of the metro creeks and indeed manky.The big ledge hole looked pretty sticky at 775, V'ish hole for sure .The lead in I'd say pushy 4 at this level but there is a lot of junk to deal with wood,rebar ,f u rocks in bad spots,concrete slabs with rebar poking out that make it class 5 dangerous.The crux ledge had a slab with a piece of rebar 3 or 4 feet long dangling off of it.Looked like center chute was the line,right super mank and wood,left looked the best but there are big branches hanging over the line that might trip you up way too close to the ledge.

Anybody ever run this? 1/2 mile carry up from Youngfield its Coors right above that don't think you can access it higher.I will run it at 400-500 mankier but less pushy and the hole should be manageable.Shopping cart looked good too, a little intimidating for play for me on the first one,but I've run it higher several times it is a fun drop for intermediates, I dunno 3+,build up ahead of steam on the slide and punch 3 or 4 pretty good holes and waves ,stay away from bridge abutments.
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009   #5

No, I haven't run that mank rapid. I had seen it while biking in the fall and thought it might be interesting with water, and right now it could be a handfull. I'd be down for hitting it with a little less water. Shopping Cart and the play under and after the bridge is pretty good right now. I find that first wave a little intimidating as well. I like to just punch it.