Cool Kayaking article for kids to think about - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 10-27-2010   #1

Technology Partner, Littleton, Colorado
Send a message via AIM to mvhyde
Cool Kayaking article for kids to think about

Tim Forbes is a former corporate executive who quit his job and went about discovering and writing about sports. He was at the US National Slalom Championships last month in Dickerson, MD.

Everything I Know About Canoes & Kayaks, I Learned At The National Slalom Championships It's Game Time Somewhere

They also had a boatcross race afterwards that got quite interesting and somewhat brutal. There were a few injuries and some DQ's for excessive force.

If your kids boat, think about getting them into racing slalom, both in K1 and C1 and C2. It really does reshape their critical thinking skills into something that will foster good self-discipline and awareness of consequences.

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010   #2

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
I didn't find anything in the article that would make kids think any particular way... no different than taking your children to the river or wave cause being around them with a good attitude is numbero uno, before competion. I personally don't see how slalom Kayaking will be more beneficial to self discipline and awareness of consequences.. Kayaking is Kayaking.. eddys are eddys and holes are holes.. consequence awarness comes with past experience and seeing things first hand otherwise that's consequence paranoia.. don't get me wrong keep him going cause looks like he's into it. But most other kids would be more than Stoked if pops took them to the Rio couple times a week. Also the dude thinks we wear, whatever he called them(skirts), for fashion.. come on.. he has no idea of what Kayaking is all about and its not competitions like other sports, I go Kayaking cause I love 2 nuff said. He wouldn't understand the term huck meat, and what it Intels.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #3

Geez dude...the point is for kids to see kids in the water. Just because an outsider to the sport states something out of complete ignorance doesn't warrant your response.

Actually, slalom because it is a timed race does teach self-discipline and awareness of consequences. you rush things, you make a bad move, it costs you in time. It teaches you efficiency, doing more with less. It teaches critical thinking skills, planning, strategy, and more. It makes a paddler (not just kid paddlers), a better paddler. To state anything to the contrary is complete ignorance. Even a monkey could be taught to loop a boat in a hole, but try teaching that monkey to correctly negotiate 18 to 25 gates in Class IV water and achieve optimum time in doing so, and commit the course to memory.
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2010   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Step off the block dude... I said wouldn't benefit more, not wouldn't benefit...makes paddlers ...Ahah funny you must think your boy is new toa or someshit and all other kid paddlers are nothing...like I said doesn't do justice for the aka sport.. and this doesn't teach kid paddlers which are paddlers the basic key to paddling which is team work.... you lost respect with that statement.. and id rather watch that monkey loop a Kayak. Remembering a coarse is no different than remembering a run except yeah you are having fun downstream progress together. Monkey see monkey do.
Old 10-27-2010   #5
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Henry makes me stoked about paddling. He's got to be getting other kids stoked on it.

I agree though, the article was weak.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #6

The article was written by someone who is an outsider to a lot of sports, not just paddling. To denegrate it without considering that is really wrong. The article was positive about paddling. That message is important in getting kids into the sport, regardless of whose kid is in the article.

And, CasperMike. Yeah, my kid is the total shit, and you want to know why? Because he has manners, is respectful, he listens to a point a view before forming an opinion. He has discipline, integrity, courage, and can think for himself. Oh yeah, he's also pretty talented. But being humble like he is, he keeps that part to himself. I just read him your response. He has this to say; get in a race boat and try it.

Ascendency in the sport right now is paramount to keeping it alive. Kids need to be brought into it and taught the right way to do things, the right way to be involved. It is about having fun doing something that will provide a lifetime of memories and positive behavior.
Old 10-27-2010   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Dude get over the stool already. I didn't say anything negative or disrespectful about your son. The opposite, keep him in it. Basically you wouldn't read my first statement that taking your kids Kayaking and having a positive attitude will do the same.. its not a competition bro. Getting kids involved is the main goal and 90 percent of population likes just hitting Rio with friends that's the important part..
Old 10-27-2010   #8

The Bitterroot, Montana
Yeah, I'm with mike on this one. If you want to teach your kid about compitition and jocky shit take him to football practice. If you want to teach your kid about nature and friendship take him kayaking. Who gives a fu(k who paddles faster.
montuckyhuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010   #9

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I didn't read the article, but all the creekers i know with a slalom background absolutely kill it. Never been big on contests, but I'd love to get Riley a slalom boat. I guess I'd prolly need one too then.

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010   #10
Abron Cabron

Santa Fe, Nuevo Mexico
Maybe a re-title of this thread would be more fair... An article mentioning my kid the slalom racer! I am Super proud of him! (as you should be...he is obviously a dedicated and talented charger).
I hope my daughter will some day enjoy the river like I do, but shes only about 6 weeks old now so we gots a little ways to go.

Before I read the article I thought jeez...Caspermike is abrasive, and sort of rude. and then after the article, I thought, newsflash! pretty much the same...
but he has a point. The article is kinda weak. Adequate for a generic canoeing magazine that has one kayak article per month. informative for other people that aren't familiar with our sport...

IMO it is little misleading to state that a poorly written article is good information for kids.
this article mentions your kid and thats whats good about it.

Team sports and disciplined exercise, is good for all kids...and really anything that gets you out on the river is great. Ski racing is bad ass too, but not very indicative of how many other ways there are to enjoy skiing/riding. (enjoy it a LOT more) still it builds good discipline. if slalom gets kids on the river, and even more, makes them safe competant paddlers... then great!
and hey- If racers want to wear spandex and bash gates, more pow for the rest of us!! (a little leftover teenage attitude)

Its true that the racers come out on the other side VERY talented. Like Jeremy Nobis, Eric Shipley etc, etc...
anyway ...good for your kid!
abron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kayaking