confluence was awesome this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 08-04-2005   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
confluence was awesome this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went to work at 7:30am with my boat in the car to hit golden afterwork. I almost crapped when I saw that confluence was reading 4890 cfs from the 6:15am reading. I read the flash flood posts and folks said they were going there this morning. I walked out of my office and promptly told the folks there that I was taking a day of vacation and hit the road. I put in around 9:00am at the top of the confluence park at REI. I got eddied out by a wave onto the sidewalk, which was covered! Wow. I paddled on down, heading for the railroad brigde hole. The river was about 3000 cfs then according ot the gauge, and the waves were huge! It was like a big water paddle through the wave trains. I missed a couple of good surf waves on the way down as I was in awe of how big the South Platte had gotten. The railroad bridge hole was awesome. A group of about 6-8 boaters ended up all showing up for an awesome surf session. We were dropping in from the top as you couldn't make it from the eddy below till after the level dropped a bit. The surf was awesome (for the few seconds that I could ride it... not the best surfer ) and big and fluffy. The levels came down and you could hit it from the eddy and it was just plain awesome. The fact that I could ditch work and hit big ass 3000 cfs play waves in the middle of the city was just awesome! Met a cool group of paddlers down there too. They were kicking ass and having a blast... Union is up now too, so my day of playing hookie might be complete with an afternoon union session! Gotta love it!

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005   #2

AWESOME
K2boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #3

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
I am taking an intermediate boater and we are going to run down Cherry Creek. We want to put on around 5:30 on at Colorado Blvd. The gauge says that it is still holding around 700 cfs and peaked around 950 this morning. Anybody run this section......its just for shits and grins (not literally, I hope).
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2005   #4

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
yo jon--were there big waves this morning? let me know---ss
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #5
Roy

Denver, Colorado
jw--beware of some VERY low bridges where the bike path crosses Cherry Creek with little or no eddies!

Otherwise, have fun!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #6

Salida, Colorado
jonny,

DO NOT run past the golf course I am not as familiar with the run above that but below there are bridges that you will NOT fit under.

Like Roy said there are little or no eddies down there.

I think you might be alright from colorado blvd. down to university which will be a pretty short run but like you said why the hell not.

Be Safe
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005   #7

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
When I drove down this afternoon, some of the cherry creek drops looked good, but the low bridges had only a couple inches of clearance. Looked pretty sketchy and as noted before no eddies. Be safe!
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #8

Not only are the Cherry Creek bridges low, but they have hand rails above that are perfect strainers for a boat.
cstork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #9

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Well, we did it anyway. We put in below a nasty strainer b/w Cherry Creek Mall and Colorado Blvd. My buddy was pumped because we knew there would be some portaging and he isn't the best boater. It was a lot of fun though. I wouldn't reccommend it, but there were at least 6-7 descent drops and some good play! The cherry creek hole was in as were some other holes above it. My buddy swam one drop but we went back up and did it again, and again. The waves down in confluence were also fun, esp. the skate park wave, but not as good as earlier in the morning. Thanks for the input though.
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005   #10

Salida, Colorado
So I am curious, did you run all the way down to confluence??

If so how did you handle the bridges?

Also did you have to fight off the gondaliers...not sure if they are protective of their river..
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote