Confluence @ 500 - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-14-2007   #1

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Confluence @ 500

I am dying to get in the water but nothing is runnin, so tomorrow (Sunday), I just might bite the bullet and go to Confluence. Is Union better at these flows? Anyone want to test the waters?

jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2007   #2

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny water View Post
I am dying to get in the water but nothing is runnin, so tomorrow (Sunday), I just might bite the bullet and go to Confluence. Is Union better at these flows? Anyone want to test the waters?
I'm a beginner but I'm jonesing to get out also. What time did you have in mind?
Old 04-15-2007   #3

I think Union is way better than Confluence, if Union is really at 500.

And neither is really appropriate for a beginner at 500. But, the advantage of confluence is that it's a safe place to swim if you are wearing a helmet.

Union is a bit squirly and a guy died there last year by probably getting snagged on something underwater. But, his being a swimmer not wearing a life vest was probably a major contributing factor.

Confluence is a great place for a beginner at 100 cfs.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2007   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I've never been to union as low as it is now (275), but I'd expect the play to be minimal with probably only the 1st feature having a small hole. Probably a one hit mini-surf at current flows.

Confluence is a bit better at current flows (500ish). You can surf 3-4 of the waves in the park now. Confluence has the fast eddies which are good early season practice too. Most of the features below the park are not in right now except the feature below the suspension bridge a couple hundred yards downstream from the park.

Neither is great, but it beats sitting on the couch, and I've been down a few times to start getting the arms in shape for paddling season.

Golden is a lot colder, but a lot cleaner, and at 100 cfs might be the leader for low water nothing else to do playparks.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007   #5

The Road, Colorado
Deepsouth,

Basil didn't seem to think I should be hanging out anywhere as a beginner (been to deckers once and have been working out in a pool). What would you suggest?
Old 04-15-2007   #6

I didn't say beginners shouldn't hang out at either place. I'm not one to say what you should or shouldn't do. I'll help pull you and your gear out of the water the first few times.

For easier runs in the metro area, you can do any part of the South Platte except Confluence or Union. Confluence and Union are the biggest rapids on the South Platte, except for some of the small dams along the way. You should scout those. They all have boat chutes.
basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007   #7

Badaz
just go to confluence, and git er done. Practice catching those swirly micro eddies, itll be time well spent. If you get the chance, the stmbt town run is perfect for skills building, w ample play (splat, standing waves, purpose built play spots) and usually we will even chase your boat, at least the first time.
Yampaboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007   #8

The Road, Colorado
Sorry I misinterpreted what you said Basil. I think the primary reason I was thinking union, confluence or golden play parks is because I can be reasonably certain of people being there and make some friends in the sport and learn some stuff. Can't do that riding the sofa you know.
Old 04-15-2007   #9

The Road, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yampaboater View Post
Badaz
just go to confluence, and git er done. Practice catching those swirly micro eddies, itll be time well spent. If you get the chance, the stmbt town run is perfect for skills building, w ample play (splat, standing waves, purpose built play spots) and usually we will even chase your boat, at least the first time.
Thanks for the suggestion Yampa but steamboat is a ways from the denver area. I'll be headed to Jackson Hole in June, maybe I'll stop in there and check it out.
Old 04-15-2007   #10

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Confluence could get a bit exciting for a beginner. The eddies are fast and swirly, and if your roll isn't fast, and you swim, you'll probably swim all the way to the bottom, hit your ass of the shallow drops, and get banged up. If someone is at the bottom to catch your gear and this sounds like fun then go for it.

You can always put in at the bottom or in between any of the drops and paddle around. Just make sure someones there with you to catch gear.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote