conejos minimum flow? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-03-2018   #1

placerville, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
conejos minimum flow?

whats recommended as a decent minimum for pinnacle gorge?

thx!

steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2018   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
225 - 250 is my minimum during runoff. You want more than that in the Pinnacle Gorge, but this time of year there is a bunch of tributaries coming in. My suggestion would be to put in roadside in the meadow below the dam and go all the way to the South Fork Conejos trailhead.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018   #3

Jenks, Oklahoma
Back in the 80's a friend of mine had a summer cabin in that Conejos area. That entire area is just great hiking and scenery is first class. We trout fished quite a bit. Both the Conejos and several really nice mountain lakes we hiked into produced good fishing. I kept seeing the view from the road there at the pinnacles.

One memorial day long week end several of us kayak buds had been running the box and I suggested we drive over after the last lower box run to the Conejos just to see what was there.

we looked at flow the trailhead parking area (looked good) and drove up to the dam meadow as lmyers suggests. The run is fast moving clear water not much in the way of rapids. Bottom line the run is fun to check out but we never came back for another run. Caution tho, after our run we decided to lay out our pads and take a nap in the grassy take out area before starting the long drive back to Tulsa. Back in Tulsa, my bud had a bad headache and went to the emergency room. Took the doctors a while to figure it out but a tick had got into his hair and infected him with what ever the fever is ticks can transmit. Due to the location of the bite it was touch and go for a few days till massive amounts of Rx got him ok. So, if you do run the Conejos (I recommend you do run it) and take a nap at the take out on the grass, do a good through tick check.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote