Colorado's Whitewater Parks - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-27-2014   #1

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Paddling Since: 1993
Colorado's Whitewater Parks

I'll admit that I am completely bias before I give my reasons why Gunnison has the best whitewater park (which isn't a knock on other CO parks because CO has the best WWPs in the nation).

The reasons why:

1) Big water - The Gunnison is the largest tributary to the largest river in Colorado.

2) The features do not wash out at high water.

3) The first feature is an incredible, yet forgiving, hole; the second is a wave that breaks at the top and is almost perfectly semetrical; the third wave is a big, big wave by CO standards -- especially at high water -- and it always has a break at the top.

4) There is mountain biking everywhere around Gunnison.

5) Western State has the hottest women of any RMAC school and they all go sunbath at the WWP.

I'd love to hear why locals from other areas believe -- mistakenly -- that their park is the best (this is just for fun. I am not trying to insult anyone else's park. We all have very sweet parks)!

hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014   #2

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
Well hell! If no one will argue with me, I'll make the arguments on my own.

Buena Vista has a better one because it is in the middle of the best boating in Colorado.

Salida has a better one because Salida's is the original!

G. Springs has one because it is on the biggest river in Colorado.

Durango's is the best because the Animas is a sick, beautiful, off-the-charts river.

Denver has Confluence which draws the biggest crowds and it has Union Park which is disgusting, but at high water, it may have the coolest wave in all of CO (save Big Sur).

Golden's play park is awesome because it was engineered by really rich, really intelligent people. It may not have the most water, but they've done the most with what they have.

Ft. Collins needs a park, as does G.J.

I've never been there, but people tell me that Pueblo has the best park bar-none period. Easy to believe considering it's on the Ark and those people in Pueblo know heavy equipment.

But, Gunnison's is still the best because it's a 3 minute drive from Mario's Pizza!
Old 05-27-2014   #3
swimming

behind your mom, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchkiss View Post
Well hell! If no one will argue with me, I'll make the arguments on my own.

Buena Vista has a better one because it is in the middle of the best boating in Colorado.

Salida has a better one because Salida's is the original!

G. Springs has one because it is on the biggest river in Colorado.

Durango's is the best because the Animas is a sick, beautiful, off-the-charts river.

Denver has Confluence which draws the biggest crowds and it has Union Park which is disgusting, but at high water, it may have the coolest wave in all of CO (save Big Sur).

Golden's play park is awesome because it was engineered by really rich, really intelligent people. It may not have the most water, but they've done the most with what they have.

Ft. Collins needs a park, as does G.J.

I've never been there, but people tell me that Pueblo has the best park bar-none period. Easy to believe considering it's on the Ark and those people in Pueblo know heavy equipment.

But, Gunnison's is still the best because it's a 3 minute drive from Mario's Pizza!
I like all your comments except for Golden. It sucks. Lawson is 100x better minus the near frozen water and lack of bikinis.
streetdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014   #4

placerville, Colorado
best playpark in co (for 4-6 weeks a year at least) is on the upper dolores river. about 20 workable features in a couple miles, some outstanding.
steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014   #5

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I haven't tried too many play parks but I love the Glenwood Wave for these reasons:

1) The new reconstruction makes it awesome at every level

2) At low water it is good for trying new moves

3) Middle flows make it more hole like

4) High water... Pretty self explanatory

5) It runs all year

6) There is always a crowd watching on the weekends

7) The Jacksons come every year so it must be pretty good...

Just my $0.02
Old 05-28-2014   #6

Pejivalle, Costa Rica
I have got to check out the Dolores. Incredible area. Without a doubt, Glenwood's park is outstanding. I'll bet Golden's park was pretty cool during the flood last year!
Old 05-31-2014   #7

Pueblo West, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
PPP

Pueblo is hard to beat with something for every boater:

If you want a big wave #1, flat and grabby #2, smooth surfer #3, manky nasty and full of big white fun #4, choppy #5, cartwheel and looper heaven #6, grabby on one side but good surfing #7, #8 is not surfable but has a clever boof line and some flows.

But water quality drops with the flows.
Cipherion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #8

SW Co, Colorado
Colorado's Whitewater Parks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotchkiss View Post
I'll admit that I am completely bias before I give my reasons why Gunnison has the best whitewater park (which isn't a knock on other CO parks because CO has the best WWPs in the nation).

4) There is mountain biking everywhere around Gunnison.

I'd love to hear why locals from other areas believe -- mistakenly -- that their park is the best (this is just for fun. I am not trying to insult anyone else's park. We all have very sweet parks)!

If we can include attractions other than the water park, I'll throw in the ticket for Ridgway (Ridgtucky). Great mountain biking on RATS, awesome fishing in the pacochupuk, a still, brewery, and uncrowded. Pop600
We have a ww 'park' as well
Slash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #9

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Yampa town C and D are excellent. You can go run Fish and then go get some BBQ at Double D.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #10

Skywalker Construction, LLC
Durango WW Park!
Attached Files
HANSON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark