colorado - ottowa drive time? - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-09-2008   #1
God Amongst Men

Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
colorado - ottowa drive time?

so i have family moving to da U-P eh, and ultimately I will have to go visit them at some point in the next year or two. i've always wanted to go to the Ottowa, so I figure seeing them would be a good stopover on the way and on the way back. how long of a drive, hours wise, is it from CO to the Rocher Fendu?

THANKS A MILLION

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008   #2

www.mapquest.com
www.maps.google.com
Meng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #3
God Amongst Men

i dont want a computer to compute the distance and "estimate" a drive time.

im looking for experience from people who've done it, and stopped for food, interesting roadside novelties, napping, etc. stuff the computer cant estimate.

if i wanted a google map, i wouldnt have asked in the first place................thanks again
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2008   #4

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
I know of a few cool stop offs in the up ehhh. "tequamenon falls" central to eastern u.p, Lake Kitchitikipi aka Big Springs is more western part I think. the springs are super cool and worth throwin down a few bucks to get to. try to camp out on lake superior near PICTURED ROCKS NATIONAL LAKESHORE camp east of pictured rocks .
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #5
God Amongst Men

well that works great.....my aunt and uncle are moving to some rural land right near Munising, which I think is right close to both of those!

im pretty excited to make the trip, the upper pen. is one of the few areas of the country I haven't been to, and canada is always fun, no matter where you go........
Old 11-09-2008   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
I've never driven to Ottawa, but I have driven to upstate New York, which is 3-5 hours from there.

From Colorado to New York, it took me almost three days, with a stopover at the New River to go boating and sleep.I got a flat tire that time too, and it added a significant amount of time fixing that (had to buy a new tire). That was taking the I-70 route and pulling a uhaul trailer behind my Subaru. I drove almost 20 hours straight on the first stint though, starting at 7pm and driving through the night.

On my way back, I had more stuff and had something wrong with my car, but it took me two days, going the I-80 route. My top speed that time was barely 70 down hill and slower going up. Turns out I had a blown head gasket the whole way and was also pulling a trailer.

I'm pretty sure you could do the drive to Ottawa in two days with an overnight stopover and two good 15 to 20 hour days of steady driving. If you want to stop more often (not much too look at if you ask me) or want to take a detour to see something specific, then 3 days is easily doable.

I would definitely take the I-80 route, as its much faster and a bit more interesting, though Nebraska and Iowa have these mile long rolling hills that are annoying if you have a car that can't deal with them at a steady speed. Having a driving buddy obviously makes a big difference too. Happy driving.

JH
Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008   #7

Buena Vista/Summit, N/A
Paddling Since: 2002
ya, pictured rocks is really close to munising, and with what u said I remember big springs being less than a 6 pack drive away. maybe 2 hrs max. summit county to traverse city mich has taken me anywhere from 16-22hrs. traverse is a good 7-8 hrs north drive from chicago.(I-80 route Beta) when I came back one time we took the I-90 route from U.P. getting to the freeway through wisconson is kinda slow going with small towns and stop lights, we stopped at mt. rushmore as well as the Badlands. bad lands was good but unless yer into doing atleast a few hour hike than its more of a drive through park. I think we made it from around munising to the flat lands of western minnesota or eastern S.D to a rest stop, that was 2 people and one dog. oh which reminds me, stop in wisconson and get some cheese, seriously the cheese tours are maybe a little CHEESY but fun, and its the best cheese ever. hope all that jibberish helps ya out
1whitewattafoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #8

Dreamboat, Colorado
im thinken 18 to 20
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008   #9

Durango, Colorado
CO to Ottawa drive

I used to live in Madison, WI and made the drive to the Ottawa three time. Given you want to hit da UP, you'd be crossing over to the north and going through Sioux St. Marie. The Ottawa is about an 18-19 hour from Madison drive depending on how many Tim Horton's you stop at for donuts and coffee. You could add on about 13 hours from Denver to Madison and that should give you a decent idea of the drive. It's a long drive but so worth it when you get on that's big soft waves.

Enjoy!

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by yetigonecrazy View Post
so i have family moving to da U-P eh, and ultimately I will have to go visit them at some point in the next year or two. i've always wanted to go to the Ottowa, so I figure seeing them would be a good stopover on the way and on the way back. how long of a drive, hours wise, is it from CO to the Rocher Fendu?

THANKS A MILLION
ibyakn is offline   Reply With Quote