Colorado Kayaking - Mountain Buzz

Old 01-14-2010   #1

Colorado Kayaking

So I'm somewhat new here, so I apologize for the silly question.

I'm new to Colorado and I've been searching for some place nice to go Kayaking and maybe do some fishing. I'm not searching for some rapids or anything like that. Mostly just the scenic view.

So what are some of the best places for a nice relaxing view, and perhaps some decent fishing.

DuckSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010   #2

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
Fishing? Mainly lakes if you plan on fishing from your kayak. The Colorado in Ruby Horsethief is flat too. Pretty much everything else will have some whitewater on it. Upper C is pretty easy, but there are some rapids that love to flip newbe kayakers.

Ruby starts in Loma, and is usually run as a 2 day trip when flows are low. Upper C is near Kremmling.
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010   #3

Well fishing is just the icing on the cake so to speak. Really just looking for some scenic rivers to run down. I can hold my own against some minor rapids but that's about it.

Also, what about Gunnison? I've heard that's a nice river to go down in terms of scenery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2010   #4

There are lots of places you can get mellow riverrunning in Colorado. I don't know what's close to "Nunya," the location you've listed on your profile, but putting your real location would help folks recommend runs for you that you don't have to drive for half a day to get to and could even help facilitate meeting likeminded folks in your neighborhood.

Check out the Yampa above Deerlodge Park, the White River, the Colorado below Newcastle, the Lower Blue. The South Platte through and below Denver, the Arkansas below Canon City may have some mellow boating. Go buy a guidebook. Talk to folks at the local canoe, kayak, or raft shop. Get in touch with canoeing clubs.

And check this out: Jerry's Local River Guide
Old 01-14-2010   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Gunnison from Delta to Junction is run able at class II with the exception of a couple of roller dams, one near Delta and one near Junction, they are not run able. The Escalante to Bridgeport section is very scenic. Ruby Horsethief is a beautiful as well. Check out eddyflower http://www.eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx?StateId=1 for more. Upper Colorado from State bridge to Bair Ranch is popular with fishermen also.
Old 01-14-2010   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBoater View Post

Hey thanks, I was looking for that site the other day and couldn't find it.
Old 01-14-2010   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoBoater View Post
There are lots of places you can get mellow riverrunning in Colorado. I don't know what's close to "Nunya," the location you've listed on your profile, but putting your real location would help folks recommend runs for you that you don't have to drive for half a day to get to and could even help facilitate meeting likeminded folks in your neighborhood.

Check out the Yampa above Deerlodge Park, the White River, the Colorado below Newcastle, the Lower Blue. The South Platte through and below Denver, the Arkansas below Canon City may have some mellow boating. Go buy a guidebook. Talk to folks at the local canoe, kayak, or raft shop. Get in touch with canoeing clubs.

Yeah sorry, I'm not to keen on putting location information on the internet, but basically the Denver area. I don't mind a small drive really.
Old 01-15-2010   #8

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Upper Bighorn Sheep Canyon on the Arkansas would be an option...at medium to low water there is 30 or so miles of class II with a handfull of easy III's that can easily be portaged. It has fantastic fishing for Brown Trout and would be a great place to improve your river running skills.
Plus there is excellent scenery and wildlife viewing opportunities as well as easy roadside escape if something happens.
Salida to Texas Creek would be the entire stretch, but there are access points every 5-10 miles or so.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010   #9

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rschap View Post
Gunnison from Delta to Junction is run able at class II with the exception of a couple of roller dams, one near Delta and one near Junction, they are not run able. The Escalante to Bridgeport section is very scenic. Ruby Horsethief is a beautiful as well. Check out eddyflower http://www.eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx?StateId=1 for more. Upper Colorado from State bridge to Bair Ranch is popular with fishermen also.
Be very careful on that section. There have been some harrowing, near-death experiences on the Gunnison. Read this thread for details... and laughs.

https://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f...day-18716.html
Old 01-15-2010   #10

Thanks for the info guys. The links sent were also helpful.

I feel like the oddball because I'm not in it for the super thrill of the rapids, I just enjoy the view and the fishing. (And the workout)

What I hate is to see a picture of a nice river, but no details on where it is. Like on this website....

Colorado Kayak Fishing

You have this beautiful picture here....

But I wish I knew where that was.

Tags
kayaking