Colorado kayakers, Help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated! - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 06-01-2016   #1

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2016
Colorado kayakers, Help and advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Howdy, I am pretty new to kayaking, I have floated Pumphouse to Radium at 3160 fsp a couple of weeks ago, and that was perfect for my level. My dad is coming out to Colorado on a vacation in three weeks. He used to be a whitewater kayaker in the 60's in Norway, he whitewater kayaked for about 25 - 30 years, but he is closing in on 70 now, and haven't been in a river in about 10 + years. He ocean kayaks every day, but he really wants to go for a river run / float with me, something easy, a class II would be great, He can still Eskimo role, but a nice and calm float would be more fun for us I think. Where could I take him to get a 1 hour to 2 hour float with some fun class II rapids.
Any help and advice is greatly appreciated.. Thanks guys and gals..

Tor

NorwayTor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016   #2

Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Perhaps Deckers, Filter Plant, or there is also some stuff below the pumphouse section that is great.
tellutwurp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #3

Indian Hills, Colorado
Stone Bridge to Salida on the Ark is stunningly beautiful and mostly II with a few II+ or III- sections at high water. Bonus because you can take out in town and have lunch on the river. If you do this stretch, be aware of the need to take the boat chute to avoid the low head dam (you'd have to be drunk or blind to miss it). If your dad does really well you (finds it boring), you could consider taking him on Browns, which is a big notch up.

When my dad was about 67 (and having never kayaked before), I took him down Deckers and he had a blast, although he swam a few times. Deckers is really pretty but annoyingly shallow unless flows are above about 500 cfs or so.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2016   #4

Golden, Colorado
Thank you guys, this is super helpful, I will read up on your advices. Much appreciated, if I can ever repay!! I know a whole hell of a lot about Backcountry riding If you ever need advice or gear let me know.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 06-01-2016   #5

Indian Hills, Colorado
Another note, if you are paddling with just your dad: Filter Plant and anything on the Ark are exceedingly hitch-hikable. Deckers is too, but you'll wait longer and your ride may have a banjo.
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #6

Golden, Colorado
Hah!!! Banjo's give me bad connotations when it comes to River's!

Old 06-01-2016   #7

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
If yew don't lahk the Cahulawasee yew kin jest stay home. En if yew don't lakh banjers yew jest don't hafta lissen.

My autospell just threw a rod.
FallingH20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016   #8

Golden, Colorado
Hehe... Classic.

Old 06-02-2016   #9

Breckenridge, Colorado
I think you should rent a ducky and let your dad do some real paddling. Your old man might be 70 but he's still a Viking! He's gonna school your Swedish ass! Lets get out soon.
Tlutke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016   #10

Golden, Colorado
Hah, Tom you ok geezer... Let's get sim float and boot PBR's going!