Colorado Junior Kayak Team and League - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-24-2007   #1

legend
Colorado Junior Kayak Team and League

I would like to take this opportunity to introduce you all to a new program that is available for youth paddlers in Colorado. Kyle McCutchen, Nick Hinds, and I have started a Junior kayaking league to provide young paddlers with an avenue to develop their paddling skills, participate in freestyle competitions and races, run rivers, and meet other young paddlers. The program is open to ages 10-18 and all skill levels.

Here is some more information on the program (our website will be up shortly, but is still in production www.downstreamedge.com). We are currently enrolling for teams in Denver, Boulder, and Steamboat Springs. If you live somewhere else and are interested, please let us know. If we have enough demand, we will start teams in any town.

If you have kids or know people who have kids, be sure to tell them about the program. We are confident that it will be a fun thing for young people to do in Colorado. We hope to eventually have teams in all of the paddling towns in the state.

Downstream Edge Junior Kayak Team and League:

The Downstream Edge Junior Kayak Program and team is a great way for kids and teens to get involved in kayaking. It provides a fun after-school and summer activity that promotes friendship, fitness, outdoor education, leadership, and respect for the environment.

The goal of our youth program is to develop young paddlers into safe and confident kayakers. All aspects of kayaking are taught in the youth program including paddling skills, safety and rescue skills, on-river communication, leadership and organization, teamwork, fitness, logistics, and of course FUN. Only the best and most qualified coaches are employed to provide our teams with excellent instruction and a safe experience.

Team members can compete in the Colorado Kayak Rodeo series as well as downriver and slalom races. Downstream Edge teams throughout Colorado will compete against each other in several friendly competitions each season. We will have competitions for paddlers of all abilities. The purpose of these events is to get to know members of other teams and to provide a fun competitive atmosphere. All members are not required to compete.

The Downstream Edge Junior Kayak Team meets throughout the kayak season. We practice twice a week from June through August. All skill levels are welcome including those who have never paddled a kayak. We will divide groups based on skills, age, fitness, paddling goals, and schedule. We are currently enrolling teams in Denver, Boulder, and Steamboat Springs.

Downstream Edge has partnered with Jackson Kayaks and their Colorado retailers to provide our team members with affordable gear. Team members can buy full gear packages for a discount or lease gear for the season. When gear no longer fits, it can be traded in for the next size up. We understand that it is hard for parents to buy expensive gear that their kids are going to quickly out grow. Our program helps parents to keep their kids in current equipment that is safe and fits well.

For more information, contact:
Nick Wigston
c)303-809-8942
o)303-642-8823
[email protected]

N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007   #2

This is totally awesome. I wish there had been something like this around when I was a little kid. If you guys need a hand with anything, let me know. I would love to help out. Also, the School of Mines Kayak Club has a bunch of boats we could loan out for any events or outings you guys do with the group.

COUNT
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Way to be.....

Seems like I see your names attatched to anything good in colorado kayaking.

Hopefully your actions and this program will replace perceptions people may have about young paddlers in colorado. The sport is growing so fast, with more people comes more conflict, like what happened last month. This is such a cool opportunity to teach more than just boater skills it will help teach young people about what it means to be a part of this community of ours.

I hope this works well, keep us all posted on your needs.

ben
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2007   #4

Nick,
Any idea for under ten? We would love to come at least watch some of the activities. Started my son last year on the river by taking him down in a ducky. He will be 7 this sept and is already itching to get in a hard shell.
SSOWDEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #5

legend
for kids under 10, we do private or small group instruction (3 or less). We'll develop a program designed for each student to properly accommodate their needs and goals.

Nick
N. Wigston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007   #6

Broomfield, Colorado Paddling Since: 1996
Tons of Information on Youth kayaking programs that will partner with Nick and gang at Front Range Paddle Association Web Home
Lots of youth events upcoming this year again.
From Slalom to Wildwater to Freestyle to River Running all while focusing on safety and Character Development in our youth through paddlesport.
FRPA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007   #7

I also know of a team/club being put together at the Vail Mountain School in Vail. It is the private high school in vail. It will be new this season. The instructor heading it up is a guy name Forest. He works at the vail mountain school and also at mountain quest sports in Edwards.

Sounds to me the more people a groups that can participate in something like this the bigger and better it can become for kids in our state.

There might be a series that happens in Avon at the new park there.
Waterpooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007   #8

On May 12 and 13th in Golden will be the Colorado High School Championships for Slalom, Freestyle and wildwater.
The lead in event for that is in Durango on May 3-5 which also includes all disciplines.
The most recent event was held in Carbondale at the Colorado Rocky Mountain School last weekend.
There is a lot going on and has for the last four years for youth.... we just need to better distribute this information and take part.
Visit website for updated info and results.
I am in the process of updating the High School Championships Site.
The North American Junior Olympics from June 24 - July 7 will be held in the Denver and Golden areas this summer and these events ARE qualifiers for this race.

Help spread the word.

Thank You
Old 04-29-2007   #9
JRO

I would be stoked if there was one up in eagle county. i am 16 and love to kayak, but there is only a few other kids that kayak. I wouldnt mind drivin to glenwood. What towns are doin this?
JRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007   #10

There is a school season club at Colorado Rocky Mountain School in Carbondale and nothing else other than in Denver area.
Come on down this summer for all the events or any other time in Golden for our High School events and represent your school.
Website for events and club info

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRO View Post
I would be stoked if there was one up in eagle county. i am 16 and love to kayak, but there is only a few other kids that kayak. I wouldnt mind drivin to glenwood. What towns are doin this?

Tags
kayaking