Colorado Boating Towns - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-05-2010   #1

Athens, Georgia
Colorado Boating Towns

I'm about to graduate from college and am starting the process of looking for a new city to relocate. I am looking for a boating town or a location close to boating. I am also hoping to pick up winter sports to give me something else to do besides kayaking. Any suggestions? Also what about the job market, any suggestions of places to live with a stable job market?

mbthurmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010   #2
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
There aren't many jobs right now, especially in the mountains. I would suggest South Denver if you want good nightlife and several good rivers. Fort Collins has too short of a season and is way too expensive. Same with the mountain towns... Boulder might be good.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Buena Vista is awesome....expect for work. There ain't shit to do around here, or in most mountain towns for that matter unless your a proffessional or fit into some niche. You might look into Durango, good boating, good skiing, and more work than most places around here...the front range (Ft Collins, Boulder, Golden, Colorado Springs) will all have more options for work, but you will have to travel more to play. Good luck.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2010   #4

e-town, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Dont come up to the vail valley, there is no whitewater, no work, no woman and terrible skiing!
liquidchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbthurmond View Post
I'm about to graduate from college and am starting the process of looking for a new city to relocate. I am looking for a boating town or a location close to boating. I am also hoping to pick up winter sports to give me something else to do besides kayaking. Any suggestions? Also what about the job market, any suggestions of places to live with a stable job market?
What kind of work you looking for?
Old 10-05-2010   #6

Golden, Colorado
If I were you I'd move anywhere you can find a good job in your area of expertise. As far as I know, there is no such thing as a good job market anywhere right now. After a few years maybe the economy will be better and then you can pick and choose a job in a cool place.

What you don't want to do is be picky right now and end up with a huge gap in your resume. It will probably take about 2 or 3 years of disuse before you completely forget everything you learned in school. If you don't start using it now you are going to forget it, especially if it is something technical.

I know a smart guy who graduated with an engineering degree from CU about 2 years ago and still hasn't found a job. I think he gave up and is working in marketing now. I know a smart Colorado School of Mines graduate with a Master's degree having problems too. These are smart people with top-notch degrees and they can't find a job. I'm a software developer and every single person I work with is thanking the lord jesus every morning they wake up and still have their job.

It's nice to keep kayaking in mind but if I were you I'd start scrambling like mad for a job right now and don't even worry about where it is located. Maybe keep location on the wish list but take a job in Detroit if you have to. Start sending that resume out right now and you'll see what I mean.

I paddled Bailey with a guy last Friday who works for a company that develops properties for major hotels. They had ONE opening for a project manager and they got over ONE THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED resumes.

You are looking for a job in a historically bad job market. Forget kayaking for a few years and get your career on line first. Good luck. I'd be pissed if I were you, you got screwed big time by the people running the country while you were growing up.
Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #7

Athens, Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by possumturd View Post
What kind of work you looking for?
It depends, I'll be graduating from UGA with a marketing degree from the college of business. I am not above doing seasonal work because I do not know hat I want to do yet with my life. At this point I know I enjoy kayaking but I do not want to make it my life, It would be awesome to have it around though (play park nearby and creeking on the weekends, etc). I think with my degree I could apply for jobs in different areas than marketing such as PR, HR, sales, etc. Like I said, I am down for what ever I can get. I am also looking for towns with a younger population with a nightlife and women running around? Any suggestions, how is boulder?
mbthurmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #8

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Gunnison Crested Butte area is the schit, no good jobs, great skiing great boating. In my search for good jobs and good towns I've found that is it really hard to find a good job in a cool town. I moved to the mountians west of Denver, which is nice but if your single it would very lonely.
Old 10-05-2010   #9

Silverthorne, Colorado
Import some good looking women from Georgia...Colorado could use some southern bells! There are nice girls in the mountains though you'll have to take your place at the end of the line. Glenwood Springs has yearround boating and always seems busy.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010   #10

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbthurmond View Post
It depends, I'll be graduating from UGA with a marketing degree from the college of business. I am not above doing seasonal work because I do not know hat I want to do yet with my life. At this point I know I enjoy kayaking but I do not want to make it my life, It would be awesome to have it around though (play park nearby and creeking on the weekends, etc). I think with my degree I could apply for jobs in different areas than marketing such as PR, HR, sales, etc. Like I said, I am down for what ever I can get. I am also looking for towns with a younger population with a nightlife and women running around? Any suggestions, how is boulder?
As a fellow Marketing guy, I suggest that you get a couple of years under your belt with an agency - PR / Advertising. Always looks good on the resume, because you can put the name of the high-profile brand that you worked with. The pay is shit, but it will help you make connections and get experience. With your desire to stay close to paddling, I'd suggest looking into the Integer Group out of Lakewood (near Golden). Go in there and drop off a resume, join some Marketing Meetups and LinkedIn groups. There are other agencies, of course, but that's a biggie and it's supposed to be a good place to work. Golden has good boating out the door, and is the gateway to most of the mountain boating. Relatively cheap to live there, too. Not compared to Georgia, of course; but relative to Boulder, Durango, etc.
El Flaco is offline   Reply With Quote