Colorado at high water - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-22-2008   #1

Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Colorado at high water

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster. I've only floated the Colorado and Roaring Fork (Cemetary) at 2000 cfs and below with about 25 trips under my belt. I'm in a duckie and am itchin to get out there this season. I know a large factor is my paddling skill, but if I went from Rancho to Bond when it was 5000+, do you think I am going to have any issues? How about Cemetary? How about the Upper Eagle now that it is 2240? Any other recommendations during high water relatively close to Eagle County? Thanks!

Kamehameha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008   #2

pine, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
I call dibs on his duckie when he wraps it on the bridge in glenwood. I'm gonna go wait on the bank to claim river booty. Maybe I'll take up river pirating. Personally I've never run the Fork over 4,000 cfs, but I would think cemetary could be trouble in a duck so you better run with friends that wont ditch you and bring an airhorn because whistles don't work that well.
class 3 felon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #3

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 93
There is safety in numbers. If you want to join a group for this weekend, you could join us. We should have two rafts and two duckies and will be putting on early Sat. and we are planning on doing Pumphouse to Catamount, not far past Bond. The water will be pushy and fast, but not extremly difficult. The two named rapids will be class III for sure, but one again it should not be too bad if you have your basic skills down.

I will be heading up there tonight, so after today I will be unreachable. My boat is a blue Hyside with NRS frame and yellow oars. We are going to run shuttle Fri. eveneing, so you can find my Chevy 1500 HD Crew, Blue, there until late Fri.

Glenn
Snowhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2008   #4

Teacher
Cemetery at high water is a blast. it is all down the middle enjoy the waves. I have rowed it in a 16 ft raft up to 8000. I got side ways in one place and felt like it could have flipped. there are a few waves that could easily flip a ducky so run in a group.

Peter
Old 05-22-2008   #5

Edwards, Colorado
Thanks for the offer to join your group Glenn. I will keep an eye out for you. There will be two of us in duckies. However, I don't think we will start out at Pumphouse. I did Yarmony at 2000 cfs last year and made it through fine, but it was a little hairy in a duckie I have to admit. As the Colorado is already at 5460, this weekend should be pretty gnarly. Ill probably be more comfortable starting at Rancho.

Sounds like I should probably wait on the Roaring Fork. Sorry Felon, no booty for you.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 05-22-2008   #6

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
I would also add....no Upper Eagle. It is very fast and continuous at this level. (probably even a IV-...especially for a duckie).
If i was in a duckie i would wait to do the upper eagle WITH a group when the dowd chute gauge is at 3 feet (1000 cfs)

have fun.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008   #7
dq

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
cold too

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
I would also add....no Upper Eagle. It is very fast and continuous at this level. (probably even a IV-...especially for a duckie).
If i was in a duckie i would wait to do the upper eagle WITH a group when the dowd chute gauge is at 3 feet (1000 cfs)

have fun.
fast continuous and very, very cold.
dq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #8

Edwards, Colorado
Any other suggestions for beginner/ intermediate runs somewhat close to Eagle County during this high water?
Old 05-23-2008   #9

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Eagle- Edwards (WW treatment plant put in) to Wolcott (Yacht club takeout). Colorado River: pumphouse to Radium & Rancho to Statebridge...also the Grizzly Creek to No Name or Glenwood Park If you are intermediate...Gore Creek to Vail Village (however it is cold) and if the water comes up some more it might be a little above what you want. Roaring Fork- Cemetery.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008   #10
dq

Steamboat Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1983
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
Eagle- Edwards (WW treatment plant put in) to Wolcott (Yacht club takeout). Colorado River: pumphouse to Radium & Rancho to Statebridge...also the Grizzly Creek to No Name or Glenwood Park If you are intermediate...Gore Creek to Vail Village (however it is cold) and if the water comes up some more it might be a little above what you want. Roaring Fork- Cemetery.
Dotsero to Hanging lake isn't even that bad for beginners.
dq is offline   Reply With Quote