Cold Weather Layering - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-08-2008   #1

B.F.E., Wyoming
Cold Weather Layering

So I'm jonsin to get out but its still quite cold up here. All I have is a dry top.
What do all of you wear for cold water boating?

freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008   #2

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
TBH, I don't layer much....

If it's cold then I wear my drysuit with either my Unions Suit (IR) or their Thickskin layers (just 1 top and 1 bottom).

Other than that, I wear neoprene pogies, capeline (patagonia) mid-weight socks, Nike ACG's, and a skull cap.

I'm comfortable, in that setup, down below 20 deg.

Hope that helps. I hate feeling bulky when on the river. You have to work too hard to do anything.

Scott
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #3

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I wear NRS Mystery shirt as my layer below drytop, I agree with Scott bulky sucks and it is the warmest layer by far and it has worked when the snow is falling. Don't have the drysuit yet so I wear hydroskin pants, watersocks and my creeking booties. I tried splash pants but I like not having resistance when I am forced to stand in the water (cant last too long anyway without a drysuit).
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2008   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by freexbiker View Post
So I'm jonsin to get out but its still quite cold up here. All I have is a dry top.
What do all of you wear for cold water boating?

come on down it was great last night. i could use some company. drytop. fleece soaks alot of water so i opt for 2 lawers of 100% polyester and some polyester pants to keep you warm. i wear some woal socks under my booties. i didn't wear gloves and you should be fine with just a helmet.
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #5

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I am marathoner and running shirts and pants are the best. Get the wicking fabric which are super thin but super warm and don't suck up water.
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by gannon_w View Post
I am marathoner and running shirts and pants are the best. Get the wicking fabric which are super thin but super warm and don't suck up water.
Best for staying warm in freezing conditions?
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #7

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Yeh. When I ran shoshone this and last year I wore 1 long sleeve and 2 short under my drytop and it was about 10 degrees.....Although I forgot to mention I wear a shorty wetsuit first..oops
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #8

B.F.E., Wyoming
Ok so i pretty much knew what i wanted to do for the top but what do you use for bottoms?Not sure if i want to front the money to get dry pants or splash pants are there any alternatives to these. I'm sure considering i spend a lot of time in the water I probably should get some though.
Any suggestions on all of this and what kinds of Pants.
freexbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #9

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
When I got out of Shoshone yesterday it was snowing heavily in the low 30s and I was as warm as can be in a super thin rash/running shirt and a fleece under my dry top and a pair of thin skins under my dry pants. I also had a skull cap, gloves and a pair of water shoes

I do agree that fleece probably isnt the best choice due to the retention factor but I like it...

I should add that I like to play a lot and probably rolled at least 30 times so its not like I am trying to stay dry...
stumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008   #10

185 lb. waste of space, Keeping Glenwood Springs real
Paddling Since: 1864
Speedo hotpants, they cover you nuts and that is about it. That way you don't have cold wet clothes pressed against you, you just have evaporative cooling to worry about. Plus when you get out to portage you can keep your summer time tan.

If that isn't up to your liking try NRS Hydroskin pants
yourrealdad is offline   Reply With Quote