Cody, Wy River Festival - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-24-2008   #1

Cody, Wyoming
Cody, Wy River Festival

Iím putting together a river festival here in Cody, Wy on the Shoshone river during Labor Day weekend and Iím looking for some feedback on what it takes to get you boaters to come to Cody for the festivities. Here are a few things I know we are going to have.

1. Im working on a kick ass creek race and river race for both kayakers and
rafters.

2. I know we need a good band and a big party.

3. Free camping

4. Water

5. Possible freestyle comp.

These are just a few things, again im looking to you guys to tell me what you like dislike about River Festivals. The goal is to build up a major festival during a time that there is very little water in creeks or rivers across the Rocky Mountain region. Im going to be looking for sponsors also so any interested parties please contact me at [email protected].

The Shoshone River offers runs for everybody with two class 3 sections, one class 4 section and a creeky class 4 section above the power plant the Shoshone will have a run everyone can enjoy.

So have at it, tell me what I need to do to get you
here Labor Day weekend ?

Aaron Mulkey

COLDFEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008   #2

Nix #3 and swap it with Beer.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008   #3

Cody, Wyoming
How about free camping and free beer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2008   #4

Now we're talking. I'll be there.
COUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #5

Cody, Wyoming
Anybody else have some ideas ? is that time of year good to get you guys to rally into Wyo?
Old 04-25-2008   #6

Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
Make this a true grass roots event. Don't charge anyone to enter. Make 2 classes (pro and expert) so that people of different skill levels have a chance, and give away free goodies for different reasons...

Best beat down
Winners

Boater who looks like they are having the most fun

etc.

Wavesport Open in 04 was really fun for a variety of different skill levels of boaters. You could do the same thing, give away some base layers, maybe even a paddle, helmet, etc. and make people stoked about the event.

Beer is nice too.
GAtoCSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #7

Denver, Colorado
I think it is a great idea.

As for how to get Colorado kayakers up there, I've got an idea.

As we all know, kayaking is a mostly male sport. Who is going to head to Cody to hang out with the same ugly dudes that we see here?
The prizes should be heavily weighted toward the women. For example, first place women's gets a boat (perhaps a paddle depending on budget). First place men's gets a t-shirt. Everything else should fall into place. Just my 2 cents.

Any front range buzzards interested in a charter bus for this trip?
-d
Old 04-25-2008   #8
Arn

Lyons, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Livingston you are a genius, how come you didn't bring that idea to Lyons!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livingston View Post
I think it is a great idea.

As for how to get Colorado kayakers up there, I've got an idea.

As we all know, kayaking is a mostly male sport. Who is going to head to Cody to hang out with the same ugly dudes that we see here?
The prizes should be heavily weighted toward the women. For example, first place women's gets a boat (perhaps a paddle depending on budget). First place men's gets a t-shirt. Everything else should fall into place. Just my 2 cents.

Any front range buzzards interested in a charter bus for this trip?
-d
Arn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008   #9

the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
i've never promoted a river festival, but i did promote a few bike races back in the day. bike racers are a snobbier bunch than boaters, so factor that in, but bike racers didn't give two shits about schwag, because it usually wasn't that good. the cash was what folks were after in addition to the experience of the race. in order to give out cash, you have to charge entry fees or have someone willing to bankroll the event. the latter is not likely given the current economi state of affairs. and furthermore, schwag is most likely not going to be very good with most companies struggling to survive. they're not going to be super interested in giving away free boats when they can't really sell them anyway.

so my guess is if you want to have prizes for the comps, you charge entry fees and give out cash. what little schwag you get donated is a bonus to the participants. or you could simply forego giving out cash and have it be for the experience.

as far as getting people to cody, that's a tough one. that's a great area with a TON of potential in a lot of areas - climbing, boating, fishing, getting eaten by a grizz....the reason it hasn't really taken off yet is because it is so far from any huge population centers, which is good in my book. sort of keeps it a little hidden gem. a friend and i made the drive from fort collins up there last spring, and it's a haul. right at 7 hours from my house. tack on another hour for metro area folks, and it's 8 hours - a long drive. i think a charter bus that serves alcohol is the way to go.
Old 04-25-2008   #10

The Road, Colorado
Paddling Since: '07
Send a message via Yahoo to Badazws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDFEAR View Post
How about free camping and free beer!
If there is all you can drink free beer you better be providing free IV's as well or I'm not sure how much boating will get done.

Charter bus(es) would be a great idea, I would probably be onboard with that. Only problem is how to transport all the boats as well... yeah, you could fit a few on but I think a lot of people would bring two and then you need camping equipment as well...