Coconut Oil as zipper lubricant - Mountain Buzz

Old 04-17-2014   #1

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 93'
Coconut Oil as zipper lubricant

Any of you hippie dippy au naturale kayakers use coconut oil as a lubricant for you drysuit zippers, watershed seals, etc? Anybody know of any reason why you wouldnt want to do this?

utrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Use chapstick. Seriously.
climber-420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...ed=0CGkQpiswAA

$7 online. Easy. I've had my stick of wax for 5 seasons and lend it out to all my friends. It's not like you are replacing this every week.
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2014   #4

Salt Lake City, Utah
Come on guys havent you read the studies?! Chapstick is an addictive substance and dont you know you shouldnt buy in to the mainstream ideals! But seriously all kidding aside ive got a stick of the zipper wax im just wondering if anyone has ever thought of using coconut oil as an alternative... I hear the stuff is a pretty good skin moisturizer and alternative for hair conditioner too so you can look all dapper dan while floating on the river. If youre in to that stuff...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 04-17-2014   #5

San Jose, CA, California
Paddling Since: 1998
lube is lube

Oil, wax, water, just as long as the zipper is wet and lubed during operation you should be fine. I watched a man rip the zipper on a drysuit trying to unzip it when it dry and lacking lube.

Happy lubricated drysuit zipping folks.
buckmanriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #6

Post Falls, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by utrafter View Post
Come on guys havent you read the studies?! Chapstick is an addictive substance and dont you know you shouldnt buy in to the mainstream ideals! But seriously all kidding aside ive got a stick of the zipper wax im just wondering if anyone has ever thought of using coconut oil as an alternative... I hear the stuff is a pretty good skin moisturizer and alternative for hair conditioner too so you can look all dapper dan while floating on the river. If youre in to that stuff...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Kayaking is more addictive! Coconut oil? seems messy and I can't imagine that it would work any better than feminine Lubercunt. I think it would wash off with water. I'd go with chapstick.
ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #7
Casey

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1974
RODENT ATTRACTANT

COCONUT OIL SURE SMELLS NICE. ANY BEARS, RINGTAIL CATS OR RODENTS WHERE YOU BOAT? MAYBE NOT THE BEST PLAN.
skixc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #8

lafayette or Grand Lake, CO., Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by skixc View Post
COCONUT OIL SURE SMELLS NICE. ANY BEARS, RINGTAIL CATS OR RODENTS WHERE YOU BOAT? MAYBE NOT THE BEST PLAN.
Someone needs to set a tube of chapstick out in a mouse friendly garage and report back. I'm betting it is not a mouse repellent.
bighorn1478@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014   #9

Salt Lake City, Utah
Im thinking of bottling my own sweat that collects in said drysuit and using that as a lubricant for the zipper and gaskets. That way no furry woodland creature wants anything to do with it. Maybe I could even go commercial with the idea. Anyone willing to buy??
Old 04-18-2014   #10

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Old school Sex Wax.

Or candle wax if you're a non-consumer.
FastFXR is offline   Reply With Quote