CO suggestions for a couple of eastern class 3 boaters? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 05-30-2018   #1

Athens, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2000
CO suggestions for a couple of eastern class 3 boaters?

We've got a family vacation planned for the first 2 weeks of June. Primary focus is mountain bikes, but if there's room, I might throw my boat and my son's boat on the roof, too. We'll be staying at RMNP (Moraine) the nights of June 6 and 7, in Fruita the 8th and 9th, and then in Moab for several days before heading back east. Not sure the return route yet. Any suggestions on class 3ish runs along there would be appreciated.

It looks like there might be some fun/pretty stuff on the Cache La Poudre within reasonable day trip distance of the Moraine Park campground? Or is there closer stuff we should look at? Also, looks like some reasonable options on the way to Fruita in Glenwood Canyon?

To give some skill context (all eastern...), I'm comfortable on stuff like the Lower Yough, Cheat Canyon at sane levels, Lower Gauley at normal release. Biggest stuff my 14 yo son has run is Lower Yough just under 4'. Only western stuff we've been on was Deso two years ago at around 2700. I rowed that, and my son paddled it in his Remix with no trouble. Don't really want to push limits - class 3 is fine.

ohioboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018   #2

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Definitely good sections on the Poudre - look at Poudre Park, Bridges, and Filter Plant. Maybe something above the narrows too...

Might be able to hit the South St Vrain if there is water while in RMNP, Applevalley section could be fun.

On the way out to Fruita most likely will have you passing through or near Glenwood Springs - Shoshone is fun, also could float from there all the way to Glenwood.

When in Moab check out the Moab daily as an option.

Feels like I am missing something obvious so sure others will hop on.
kayakfreakus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018   #3

Evergreen, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
The Roaring Fork from Carbondale to Two Rivers Park in Glenwood Springs is a nice class 2-3 float (closer to 2 with little runoff and flows dropping). It is mostly a float but is scenic with lots of birds and good fishing and makes for a pleasant day on the water.
Ever_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2018   #4

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Shoshone in the Glenwood Canyon is my favorite class III run in co really friendly and fun also a lot of alternate routes if you feel like you have some extra fun tickets.
ColoradoKayak15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #5

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You might want to consider coming back via US 50 and US 285. That would take you by the Uncompaghre at Montrose, the Gunnison at Gunnison, the various stretches of the Upper Arkansas River and the North and South Forks of the South Platte.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #6

Athens, Ohio
Paddling Since: 2000
Thank you! What will water temps be like? I'm assuming the water out there is a lot colder, since it's coming off the high mountains. Will dry top and shorts be ok? Or full on drysuits?
ohioboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #7

Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Don't forget the Eagle, near Vail. Put in below the Dowd Chutes (under I-70).

The Poudre has the best water in Colorado this year and many III-easy IV stretches. From Moraine you have to drive to Loveland and through Fort Collins so it's an hour and a half to the lower runs. Maybe you could catch it on your first day here. The water has warmed to 52 today so dress to swim.

Also be aware there is no mountain biking in RMNP and very, very little in the Estes Park area. Fort Collins has plenty, other places too, although high mountain trails will be snowed.

PM me if you want more info.
BruceB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #8

Loveland, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Don't know what Fraser Canyon is doing....there is also Northgate if it drops a bit

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
John_in_Loveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018   #9

Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
You may want to look into the Green River.....flows are decent there. Dutch John is a great spot to start.
Seeker Of Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018   #10

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Water temps on the Colorado at Fruita and Moab will be nice. If you run the Poudre, it'll be colder than you expect, probably in the upper 50's (F). Usually a dry top and shorts is sufficient, but some people go full dry all summer. Bridges, on the Poudre, is classic class III. But I think maybe the road down from Estes Park is closed, so you have to go through Lyons, adding to the trip.

Also, the upper Big Thompson, right below Estes Park would be really close to Moraine but I'm not sure if it's class III or -IV? Anybody up there want to chime in on the Big T and traffic?
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote