CO RIVERS Licence Plate - Mountain Buzz

Old 11-10-2010   #1

CO RIVERS Licence Plate

Would you like a Colorado 'Protect Our Rivers' License Plate as pictured below? Sign the petition!

From CO TU Website. To learn more about the plate and sign a petition to make it happen go here: Colorado Trout Unlimited > LinkPages > License Plate Landing Page ( DNN 4.0.2 )

The Protect Our Rivers License Plate

In the 2011 legislative session, Colorado Trout Unlimited is introducing a bill to create the Protect Our Rivers license plate. To help ensure passage of the bill, we need to collect 3,000 signatures from Colorado residents that are interested in later purchasing the license plate. Note that signing the petition does not obligate you to purchase – at this time, you are merely expressing an interest.

Once the bill is passed, to obtain the Protect Our Rivers license plate, you must make a one-time, tax-deductible donation of $25 to Colorado Trout Unlimited. This money will be used to help CTU fulfill its mission of protecting, conserving and restoring Colorado’s rivers – the money will remain local, 100% will be allocated within Colorado. The design of the license plate has not been finalized yet, but it is likely to be very similar to the sample (above).

To learn more about the Protect Our Rivers license plate, read the FAQ (frequently asked questions).

To support it and help get to the necessary 3,000 CO signature SIGN THE PETITION HERE

Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010   #2

Denver, Colorado
fo sho.... would look great on the ol' taco. petition signed.
Old 11-10-2010   #3
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
I know trout unlimited does some good convservation work. I would also like to know where they stand on access though. I would hate to support a group that would get behind the likes of Shaw et al. Hi yeti.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2010   #4

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Me too. Crazy how many different looking plates exist. Seems like it must make it harder for the man to identify plates at at glance.

I share Glenn's concern as well.

Is the $25 fee a one time gig, or do you get hit for it every year?

(seven two 0)-298-2242
Dave Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010   #5

I also wondered about where they stand on access and do not know. I will try to find out. As mentioned, they do good things for water quality, conservation, restoration etc.. Also, supporting the plates does not mean you'll have to buy one. If passed, the bill would just creates a revenue stream for river conservation via those who do purchase plates.
Old 11-10-2010   #6
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Three questions:

1. Can they add some fucking whitewater to the river?

2. Can they add a little fucking kayaker dude too?

3. Am I allowed to say fucking on Mountainbuzz?

I guess we'll see.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #7

TU's stance on private water

TU's National board made a general ruling to stay out of access disputes. Now if you read the details to the decision carefully, they are saying that they are still open and will only get involved on a case by case basis and when it pertains directly to conservation. Colorado Trout Unlimited chose to stay out of the Shaw stuff. This stance has caused great strife internal for TU with many members wanting to fight for access, like in Utah, while some of the wealthy donors have argued against TU taking a stand.

TU is at the forefront of the water debates and inter-basin transfers. An example is the work of trying to keep as much water in the Fraser as possible instead of sending it over to us greedy front rangers.
sbratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #8

The next zone, .
Flat out TU will not support any right to float cause ever due to the "richie rich" contingent (about 50% of TU) who does not want folks float fishin behind their mc mansions ...

From what I have seen out of TU..... I would say that any money that goes to them will never be used to help out the "right to float" and could well be $ that is used against the right to float cause.

I saw this plate come through my inbox a few weeks ago and knew that the boating community would need to be educated to the goal of TU. I agree that this plate is a slick idea but each boater will have to decide if it is in the best interest of how they use the river. While I respect their angle it is a bit ingenuous to say that TU has ever wanted to support a right to float issue much less help us boaters out at all.

While Tu has done some good for some rivers in certain areas they will say themselves that they will never support your "right to float" any river.........

Great idea I just wish we could get a plate for us boaters - one that would directly support and actually help the right to float issue.. This plate just supports the TU agenda that is often in direct conflict with what we want as boaters...

So come on TU reps why wont you guys support the right to float??? Also if you dont support the right to float why should boaters put more $ in the coffers of a group who have many members (50%ish) who oppose any right to float measure??

Too bad TU will never be on the boater side of the right to float issue and I would caution any boater to support this plate that is actually just putting more $ in the coffers of TU...
Old 11-11-2010   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I agree, I think that the "protect our rivers" statement is inaccurate. It should say "protect the trout and our right to fish at any cost". I think they have also fought projects to establish more natural flows in dam controlled rivers that would effect the trout fisheries. They fought Grand Canyon when they started eradicating trout between Lee's Ferry and the Little Colorado in an attempt to strengthen the humpback chub population. That will be ongoing because Lee's Ferry upstream to the dam is managed by Glen Canyon National Rec. Area, and they continue to stock that section of river, therefore trout continue to head downstream, and the NPS and USGS continues to do eradication trips.

I think TU is a self serving organization that will only "protect rivers" to the extent that they remain good trout fisheries at a cost to any number of other factors and interests.
CanyonEJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010   #10

Thanks to those above posting on what they know about TU/CTU!

Personally, as long as the organization stays out of the right to float issue and does not support the Shaw side of the debate I am fine with backing 'em.

River issues extend beyond access and there are organizations like AW that direct their focus there. Frankly, keeping goals focused in the NGO world allows more of an opportunity to accomplish those goals. You cant work on everything. I back the conservation, water quality and restoration component of their mission. It might not contribute to where I put in and takeout but it makes a good contribution to healthier river systems which benefits everyone.