CO river rescue @ shoshone - thank you! - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-10-2012   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
CO river rescue @ shoshone - thank you!

To anyone who may have been involved on the 9/8 river rescue (Shoshone section of the Colorado) of our friend - thank you all for coming together.

From the people who rounded up gear and helped shuttle it back to our camp site to the wedding party full of ski patrol and EMTs who helped get her warm, dry and immobilized. If I could remember names, I'd call out a few folks in particular for their help above and beyond what I would have imagined.

The news good otherwise. There were no breaks and no serious soft tissue damage, just nasty sprains to her knee and hip - plus being a little shaken up. Basically, crutches and pain killers for a few weeks.

Thanks again and much love to the CO boating community.

-Alan

devicenull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012   #2

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Would you like provide a report on what happened? Members often do that so we may learn from incidents on the river.
Old 09-10-2012   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
Sure -

She was paddling an AIRE outfitter (great ducky imo, but it seems to get a little bouncy unless you weigh it down) and was ejected on maneater.

The run was pretty bony, but that section is shallow anyways just right of center. She kept her feet out and up, but hit a rock which spun her into an awkward position, forced her feet down and she ended up getting her left foot entrapped.

The entrapment released her, but not before her knee and hip were torqued pretty badly.

I wish there was some good advice to be taken out of this, but she did everything correctly to the best of her ability, and suffered an unfortunate set of circumstances.

I'd say that the events that followed serve as a more educational experience on how to care for someone who's had a rough swim (with or without injury).
devicenull is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012   #4

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Thank you for sharing Alan. Really not much we can take from it except a good reminder to stay in your boat and keep those feet up when swimming. Very happy to hear she is going to be ok.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012   #5
GoBro

BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
If you curl up in a cannonball it sometimes can be an advantage as you present less area for limb and body entrapment. It comes with it's own risks of going deeper. I'm not second guessing the actions that were taken and I'm glad that entrapment didn't stick. Heal up soon!
Old 09-11-2012   #6

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
Yup. Good thing it turned out no worse than it was.
Old 09-13-2012   #7

Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I was on the bike path for this one. The girl devicenull was posting about was one of a few things that happened within a couple minutes on Maneater. There was a group of about 250 rafters coming down commercially, many in private boats (so effectively having been shuttled only I suppose). This was in addition to two other groups of private kayakers. I think all that traffic in one big ball coming through maneater caused some of the carnage.

Devicenull's injured member was in addition to the other kayaking group who had a member dislocate a shoulder at the same time. They handled the dislocated shoulder without outside help, which was pretty cool. On top of all that, 3 commercial rafts eddied out to help (as it turns out because they had assumed the victims were with their company!). That backed up traffic and sent many boats down tandem thereafter.

One cataraft narrowly avoided bashing their passengers face in. The wife was riding the front rails of the cataraft and fell forward into the water. The frame was then smashing down on her and the husband bailed off the oars to help her.

Anyway, as an eyewitness the problem that spans all the incidents was traffic management. Not much of a lesson, and no one's at fault. I wouldn't have necessarily changed anything for that matter. It's just that when there are 2 accidents and like 10-15 craft lining the run's crux rapid, and then people are running it tandem rather than wait for a couple minutes you are going to have some carnage. It would have prudent of the raft company to have someone signal a stop at the eddy above, but I think that only holds true with the benefit on hindsight. I also could have personally rendered that warning, but it didn't occur to me at the time either.
eklars is offline   Reply With Quote