CO river, any takeouts in Bond or McCoy? - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-21-2009   #1

Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
CO river, any takeouts in Bond or McCoy?

I see its all private land in that area. Want to float out of Rancho but don't wnat to go all the way to Catamount. Any ideas?

Once you get on the Colorado River Rd at Mccoy is there any river access.

never floated this stretch...but now i'm family guy.

thanks

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009   #2

conifer, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
I see its all private land in that area. Want to float out of Rancho but don't wnat to go all the way to Catamount. Any ideas?

Once you get on the Colorado River Rd at Mccoy is there any river access.

never floated this stretch...but now i'm family guy.

thanks
It should be a short trip to Catamount at these levels...3-4 hours max.
mr. compassionate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009   #3

Avon, Colorado
Thats about what i thought...maybe do State Bridge to Catamount. Have a fresh 2 year old and the weather maybe dicey this weekend. wanted a slightly shorter gig.

Take care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009   #4

Silverthorne, Colorado
With a 4x4 and a light load, Windy Point could be used as a take-out. You can get a truck close to the river, but you would still have a short/steepish carry-out. Works well for kayaks & duckies. O.K. for paddle boats and groups with many helping hands.
webby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #5

Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENDOMADNESS View Post
Thats about what i thought...maybe do State Bridge to Catamount. Have a fresh 2 year old and the weather maybe dicey this weekend. wanted a slightly shorter gig.

Take care
Did you do this float? I am thinking about doing it this weekend with a rookie boat and a rookie crew but am also looking for something a bit shorter.
hduncan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009   #6

Avon, Colorado
never ended up doing this float, since it would still be about 3 hours flaot (14-15 miles i believe) state bridger to Catamount.

I've been doing the rancho to state bridger with my son...plenty enough action in there for a 2 year old at this level. Some actual decent wave trains (hadn't kayaked this in like 10 years).

My boss paddle sthis stretch frequently and mentioned only Sand Flats bend as having anything (class II) he wasn't sure at this level what it'd look like. But i'm sure you can handle it. This section or the State Bidge section would be your bet.

Also Lyons Gulch down to Dotsero is nice,,,,easy access (from I-70 dotsero) and has a few Class IIs at this level.

have fun