CO guide books - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-18-2008   #1

CO guide books

I will be in Colorado July 12-26th for boating. It will be my first time boating in Colorado and curious if anyone has some guide book recommendations? I have CRC II, but would like to get one or two more to help me decided on runs.

thanks

ted0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2008   #2

C.O.
This is an easy one:

"Whitewater of the Southern Rockies" by Kyle McCutchen and Evan Stafford

2007 Wolverine Publishing

It's big and heavy. Lots of color pics and info.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008   #3

Thanks for the reply.

Can you recomend some decent class IV creeks to consider that will be running in mid July?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2008   #4

C.O.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted0 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Can you recomend some decent class IV creeks to consider that will be running in mid July?
With this snowpack, most of the state will be running. I know that's a bit of a cop-out answer, so, Bailey Canyon would be good. It has 3 easy to portage class V drops if you desire, but the rest is good class IV. I always recommend the Numbers and The Royal Gorge on the Ark... Those are all rivers, but for creeks don't miss the Crested Butte area, pushing Vs, but Upper East is only a IV.

Crystal is fun.....

I'm kinda "homesteaded" these days to the Arkansas River, so someone else will have to help you with statewide info, but seriously, the whole state of Colorado will be running long this year.
"So in two seconds, away we went, a sliding down the river, and it did seem so good to be free again and all by ourselves on the big river and nobody to bother us." -Mark Twain (The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn)
Ed Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008   #5

Class IV Creeks in CO

ted0, Colorado doesn't have alot of creeks in general and those that do exist tend to be class V. Colorado is more known for its fast and continuous and fun whitewater. There is lots of play on almost every class III and IV river in CO.

With that said, you do have a few options for class IV creeks in CO in July. Try
Clear Creek near Golden. It is usually done by July but this year it still be in. The Spencer Heights run on the Poudre is fairly creeky and at lower levels is class IVish.

The southwestern part of CO is full of creeks but most of them are class V. If you want to creek, get ready to strap it on. The Whitewater of the Southern Rockies book that Ed recommends is super sweet. You can buy it using the link above. It's a little pricey but thick and full of info.

I'd definitely bring a playboat as there lots of whitewater parks in addition to fun play runs.

bradgoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008   #6

Thanks for all the replies. I picked up the Whitewater of the Southern Rockies book and have been reading it a lot. I really like it. It has tons of info.

Clear Creek is one I have been eyeing up. I will surly have the play boat with me. The group I will be going with will primarly be play boating. They leave after the first week and I will be solo the last week, and looking for people to run with.

Are there any "hot spots" where I might have a better chance of hooking up with other boaters to do some runs? I was just planning on trying to do some networking while at the play parks and see where that takes me.