Closest good class IV to San Fran? - Mountain Buzz
 



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-13-2011   #1
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 207
Closest good class IV to San Fran?

I am considering some jobs out there and want to know how much effort it's gonna take to get on the river. I've been on the middle fork of the American, which I believe is maybe 3 hrs, but I'm hoping for something closer.

tmcdevit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-13-2011   #2
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 142
Take out to North Fork American (Chamberlin Falls) is 2:20 on the nose, no traffic, driving fast. That's about as close as decent Class IV is going to get. You also have the South Fork American (Kyburz) about the same distance, maybe a little further.
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #3
 
wasatchbill's Avatar
 
Riverdale, Utah
Paddling Since: 1977
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzin View Post
Take out to North Fork American (Chamberlin Falls) is 2:20 on the nose, no traffic, driving fast. That's about as close as decent Class IV is going to get. You also have the South Fork American (Kyburz) about the same distance, maybe a little further.
How long into the fall does that run?
wasatchbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-2011   #4
 
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1901
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 142
Mid-June, usually.
cuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #5
 
ashland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 222
Mid to late summer and fall is the time of slim pickings in Ca., dam release runs are all you're going to get. SF American, NF Feather during the scheduled release, Clear Ck outside of Redding and the like. Not until the rain starts sometime between late Oct. to late Dec. will the coastal (North coast is the most consistent esp. the Smith) or low elevation Sierra runs start to have enough water to boat. Spring snow melt is the season in the Sierras (Apr-June) is when options abound.
SF is a long way from boating, expect to do a lot of driving to get some. Buying a surf board or surf kayak might be a more time saving way to get your water adventure needs fulfilled
pretender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #6
 
Nosebleed, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretender View Post
Mid to late summer and fall is the time of slim pickings in Ca., dam release runs are all you're going to get. SF American, NF Feather during the scheduled release, Clear Ck outside of Redding and the like. Not until the rain starts sometime between late Oct. to late Dec. will the coastal (North coast is the most consistent esp. the Smith) or low elevation Sierra runs start to have enough water to boat. Spring snow melt is the season in the Sierras (Apr-June) is when options abound.
SF is a long way from boating, expect to do a lot of driving to get some. Buying a surf board or surf kayak might be a more time saving way to get your water adventure needs fulfilled
I agree with pretender. I lived in the city for 2 years and it's a PITA to go anywhere--traffic. Get a place near Ocean Beach and start surfing and biking while you are there. Enjoy all SF has to offer--much! Try some different activities. Then flee back to the mountains and rivers.
funrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #7
 
All over, The USA
Paddling Since: 1920
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 38
[moderator edit] You don't want to move there no matter how good your new job is. You don't want to move there no matter how good your new job is.
asshole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #8
 
DanOrion's Avatar
 
Indian Hills, Colorado
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 1,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by asshole View Post
[moderator edit] You don't want to move there no matter how good your new job is.
Does your mother hate you or something? WTF?
DanOrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011   #9
 
Truckee, California
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 31
SF is great. It's really not that bad for paddling. On a weekend, drive 3 hrs to Truckee, camp, and you're close enough to Yuba, Truckee (boca-florston, though that's more like good III, weak IV), American will be on the way back.

It's not hard to do the same near the Tuloumne, etc

I'm used to CA though. If you have a good car mpg-wise, the sky is the limit. SF is an awesome city, but it's not practical for after-work runs. Weekending trips have great rivers from there imo.
GregMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
class iv

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
gila wilderness run or san fran river Todd_A Kayaking | Trip Planner 2 04-13-2010 07:19 AM
Icer Air live today in San Fran hobie Winter Buzz 0 10-18-2008 09:37 AM
Whitewater closest to Indiana? znshields Kayaking | Trip Planner 0 07-19-2008 08:24 PM
Closest Open Pool to Boulder? saxman42 Whitewater Kayaking 1 10-25-2007 10:22 AM
st louis/ san fran boating double-a-ron Whitewater Kayaking 17 11-20-2003 02:18 PM

» Classified Ads
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.