Climate Change and the Colorado River Basin - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-31-2009   #1

Climate Change and the Colorado River Basin

I'm not sure exactly why I'm compelled to post this on the Buzz, but I thought you river enthusiasts should know. My guess is that most already understand the connection and are aware of projected dwindling snowpacks and flows associated with climate change, and that others, the 'flat earth deniers' won't care or acknowledge the science. Anyway, take it as you will.

"According to frightening new reports, less runoff from snow and rain that usually strengthen the 1,400-mile river caused by human-induced climate change could mean that by 2050 the Colorado River won’t be able to provide all of its allocated water 60 percent to 90 percent of the time, according to two climate researchers at University of California at San Diego.

The more dry the landscape becomes, the more difficult the choices will be for those who rely on the Colorado river’s water and those in charge of allotting it’s resources.”The dry year scenarios in the future are going to be absolutely brutal,” said Tim Barnett, lead author of the study.

Barnett and scientist David Pierce shocked people last year with a study saying there’s a 50 percent chance that Lake Mead, the reservoir created by the Hoover Dam, could run dry by 2021.

They teamed up again on this latest study of the Colorado River to predict how the river will react under different climate scenarios, predicting 10 percent to 30 percent reductions in runoff will be unable to fully meet all of the demands put on it. Decreases in runoff could short the Colorado River by about 400,000 acre feet of water 40 percent of the time by 2025. That’s equivalent to the amount of water needed to supply 400,000 to 800,000 households.

The results were published Monday in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences."

Source -
Colorado River Running Dry Due To Climate Change | Sustainability Ninja

More -
Colorado River Reservoirs Could Have 50-50 Chance of Running Dry Due to Climate Change by 2057 : TreeHugger

Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009   #2

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
But Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) calls climate change "the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people." Should we trust him or climate scientists? I'm confused.
Old 08-31-2009   #3

Yup, it's a hoax. Oh yeah, also, the earth is flat and corporate business has our collective best interests in mind. The fact that a majority of the world's governments will once again be convening soon (Copenhagen) to address the most serious threat to civilization we've ever faced is a pretty good indicator that all of the world's best scientist's are in cahoots for...oh wait, for what kind of gain?

Anyway, here are a few resources to help your confusion

- Global Climate Change Impacts in the United States - Home
- IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/west/west.pdf
- NRDC: Consequences of Global Warming
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2009   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
so if global warming is true than what scientific term would you give the front range. never ending expanding sponge?
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #5

Little Village, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Thank you. I've had my doubts about that Inhofe guy for quite some time. Especially after he said this about the yet-to-be-defined (or even written) healthcare reform bill: "I don't have to read it, or know what's in it. I'm going to oppose it anyways."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meng View Post
Yup, it's a hoax. Oh yeah, also, the earth is flat and corporate business has our collective best interests in mind. The fact that a majority of the world's governments will once again be convening soon (Copenhagen) to address the most serious threat to civilization we've ever faced is a pretty good indicator that all of the world's best scientist's are in cahoots for...oh wait, for what kind of gain?

Anyway, here are a few resources to help your confusion

- Global Climate Change Impacts in the United States - Home
- IPCC - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
- http://www.nrdc.org/globalWarming/west/west.pdf
- NRDC: Consequences of Global Warming
Old 08-31-2009   #6

Wolcott, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Earths way of shaking off the fleas.

Maynard sums it up just fine.

One great big festering neon distraction,
I've a suggestion to keep you all occupied.

Learn to swim.
JDHOG72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009   #7
over the horizon

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
I'm pretty sure folks in San Bernadino and North Las Vegas will be at each other's throats for drinking water before River Valley Ranch has to scale back watering hole #15.
BmfnL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
climate change, colorado river, colorado river basin, global warming