Clear Creek Stepping Stone Progression? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-30-2010   #1

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Clear Creek Stepping Stone Progression?

I recently moved from OC1 to C1 and feeling more confident about my abilities in a dry boat. On Clear Creek, I have paddled WWP, tunnel 1 down, and Lawson/Dumont at 460-500ish.

I have not paddled Lower or Upper CC. I have read about and looked at both , but have passed them up to date, primarly due to OC1, continous nature and sharp rock as it relates to beating up my boat and me if I swim.

With that said, I like low/medium water over high water. I have also ran NSV Shelly's, Boulder Creek 4 mile (lower water portaging the Buttresses), upper Big T (below Estes lake to handicap pull off/above the gnar), Foxton, Waterton, Numbers, Slaughter House, Poudre Upper Mish down, etc.

From what I have read and heard, Lower is not good below 400, so it is probably out for this season, unless rain brings it up.

I know the raft companies run the upper at really low levels, down to 150 or 200 or so, i think? I was thinking about trying a low water run down the upper pulling out before Black Rocks. I realize this run has sharp rock mank.

I guess my question is the upper a boat beater at this level (200 to 400), read/run or should I go with someone who has done it, and does my noted experience qualify me for this run? Thanks for your input.

Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010   #2

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Upper has a very natural river bed. I have run both L&U down to 150 and they are both fun if your needing! I would do upper then lower to progress but if your comfprtable on the #s and stevens down you will not have any issues at these levels!
gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #3

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
You experience should be sufficient for either run. But you should be warned that both runs will be manky and involve solid boat abuse.

Have fun and stay upright.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2010   #4

Arkansas during the off-season Nomadic during the summers! :), Arkansas & Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Support your local kayak store....Run the mank!

gannon_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010   #5

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
Thanks for the input

About supporting my local kayak store, you just don't buy a C1 and paddle it. It requires lots of outfitting time/work and glue sniffing (yuck), so I really don't want to beat the boat more then I have to.

They run rafts down the upper, I would think I could get an 8' C1 down without to much damage at 250, correct?
Old 07-30-2010   #6

Golden Paddling Since: 2005
That my friend depends on how well you pick you lines. I think you will be fine, chances of serious damage are low, chances of leaving some plastic shavings behind are very high.
teletumbler is offline   Reply With Quote