Clear Creek of the Ark.. - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-10-2010   #1

The next zone, .
Clear Creek of the Ark..

Has anyone been up there and know if there is new wood anywhere? The flows are back to 300 - 400 cfs and I was wonderin.

Thanks

Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010   #2
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
just went in there today. flow was probably about 300 or 350. there is a very bad piece of wood in the runout of the 2nd gorge that is pretty much across the whole creek. luckily there is an eddy above the log on the left. right now the log is barely submerged so be very aware, you could easily paddle right into it. also, it might be sticking out of the water against the left wall a little. we were able to skip up and over it on the far right side after trying to move it was unsuccessful. there is very little room under the wood. pinning on it would be very bad.

we left a heads up note at the put-in. the rest of the run is pretty clean, other than the normal small pieces of wood here and there.

it would be nice to get this log out of there while we still have some runnable flow. holler if anybody is interested in a removal mission.
tango is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010   #3

Yeah that log is in a wicked bad spot about 150 yards from the last boof of the second gorge. It was there before the uber high water and stayed put even with 1400 cfs. It look like a rope from the right side of the tree pulling back up stream to the left bank would get it out with not much problem, espeically at lower flows.

PS. If any one finds my woody somewhere around there I would be super grateful and probably buy enough beer for a few weeks of boating....... but its probably way below there after so many days above a grand.
farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2010   #4

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm heading up there tomorrow sometime. I'll gladly help remove the wood if anyone wants to help. How thick was the wood? Would it help to bring a saw?
Old 06-11-2010   #5

silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
I was in there yesterday, the log after the 2nd gorge might be 20" in diameter, we went over the log (sketchy), Ran 3rd gorge as well, just past 3rd trees everywhere, had to get out and portage a couple hundred feet, (at least 20 or more trees blocking the river)
miahski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010   #6

Didn't make it up there today. Planning on going tomorrow around 9am. Anyone have a wood update from today? We'll probably try to remove it before we run it...if it is still there.
Old 06-13-2010   #7

The next zone, .
Thanks for the info everyone.

Yea that log is in a bad spot..

It was super cold, low, and shitty when I was up there yesterday so I did not even look at how to get it out. I may make it up that way in the next day or two and if I do I am going to bring the saw and the ernster... Nuf said!

Also 230cfs or what ever is doable but that creek is better with more water.
Old 06-13-2010   #8

Wood is gone

Wood is gone now. CCark (1st and 2nd gorge) are clean as of 6pm on 6/13.

Huge props to Patrick and Jeff who sawed through that bitch with a swiss army knife while Tom and I watched from the other shore. It took 4 hours.

Fair amount of new snow up in that drainage...hopefully it'll hold out for another week or so...
Old 06-14-2010   #9
Spits Hot Fire

N. Cascades, Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkins View Post
Wood is gone now. CCark (1st and 2nd gorge) are clean as of 6pm on 6/13.

Huge props to Patrick and Jeff who sawed through that bitch with a swiss army knife while Tom and I watched from the other shore. It took 4 hours....
Hah. Awesome.
FLOWTORCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010   #10

Boulder, Jackson Kayak, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Send a message via Skype™ to thecraw
Thank you!!!! Going to try to get in there this weekend.

Huge thanks!!!!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather...To skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... WOW !!!! What a ride!!!!!!"
thecraw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ark