Clear Creek is gettin work done!!!! - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-12-2007   #1

The next zone, .
Clear Creek is gettin work done!!!!

Just a quick heads up - word around the campfire up here is that they are going to empty Clear Creek this year to work on the gates.

Good news for the Arkansas basin! Last time they did this was in 97, before that it was in the late 80's - 88 or 89' - just think back to the fish kill - when they killed every fish and bug in the ark! It is funny to me to think about how most boaters today do not even know - or seem to care that this happened!

Both years late season flows were much higher and this year will be no different. Word is that they want people to be able to boat/fish on Clear Creek through July - so the they are looking to move the water late season end of July and Aug.

There will be 10 to 12 thousand acre/ft of water that has to be moved to Pubelo. Also with the storage in this basin at over 125% everything is looking good for the new 4 playspots here in bv to be kickin late into Aug.

Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007   #2
Mut

GWS, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for the update. Who doesn't like th sound of late season creeking and playboating.

Have you been out on the moto? Grand Junction is dry. If you want to get out give me a call.

Mut
Mut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Thanks for the update. Where exactly is the reservoir that they will be draining? Is it upstream of the stardard clear creek run, so that the creek will run late? Or is it just going to dump into the ark and augment the ark flows? Does clear creek come into the ark above pine creek?
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2007   #4

In this bullshit three-ring circus sideshow of freaks, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 1986
Send a message via AIM to kayakArkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsouthpaddler
Thanks for the update. Where exactly is the reservoir that they will be draining? Is it upstream of the stardard clear creek run, so that the creek will run late? Or is it just going to dump into the ark and augment the ark flows? Does clear creek come into the ark above pine creek?
Clear Creek comes in upstream of Pine Creek Rapid on the Ark. I don't know of any res above the 3 gorges that get ran on CC so I would guess they would be dumping the res straight into the Ark....When I went up for the Pine-Creek race a couple of years ago we put in on what I believed to be Clear Creek and paddled it 75 yds to the confluence with the ark so we could paddle down to the race.....
kayakArkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007   #5

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
The reservoir is below the run on Clear Creek. Water coming out of Clear Creek will benefit the Ark from Pine Creek-The Gorge. Now we just need the snow to keep up so that we stay above 700cfs through July...good lookin NEK!
Mike Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #6

The next zone, .
Mut give us a call or bring the bike the next time that you come up. We went to the track for the first time the other day again and it is fun with no snow - also ruby and 4 mile are good to go. Also you may want to bring up that m-7 one day, maybe we can talk dre into going and get a day out!

And yes there are only going to be 3 new playspots not 4 - just a total of 4. I am startin to jones for some water around here - wait a min what the hell am I talkin about - we still have 3 month of bc to track up!
Jahve is offline   Reply With Quote