Clear Creek @ Golden guage reading low? - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-07-2011   #1
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Clear Creek @ Golden guage reading low?

It seems to me that the Clear Creek at Golden gauge should be pretty close to CC @ Lawson (USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06716500 CLEAR CREEK NEAR LAWSON, CO) + N. CC (USGS Real-Time Water Data for USGS 06718550 NORTH CLEAR CREEK ABOVE MOUTH NR BLACK HAWK, CO) + Fall River (Detail Graph). For example, yesterday's peak from these three gauges was about 1160, while the CC @ Golden gauge only peaked at 920. Is the Golden gauge really reading ~200cfs low, or am I missing something?

ACC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1985
There are water diversions before the Golden gauge.
Old 06-07-2011   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Chicago creek comes in below the lawson gauge too. Its not working right now, but historical flows are 60 cfs... probably putting in 100ish right now. When they did the measurement on clear creek, it looked like it was about 50 cfs higher than the gauge. So, yeah, clear creek is reading a little low, but chicago creek will fill in most of the 200 cfs gap you are seeing.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2011   #4
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Chicago creek makes the gap bigger rather than filling it in. Jedi, where are the diversions?
Old 06-08-2011   #5
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Our totally subjective consensus was it felt like 900cfs on Blackrock this evening. Of course when I'm getting pushed around I have a tendency to claim it's higher. Whatever it really is, my gauge reads "fun".

Pet peeve: Why does everybody spell "gauge" wrong? Unless there's some horrible British version, "guage" and "gage" are not things that measure water levels. ACC aren't you a lawyer? Are the paralegals doing all the work these days?
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #6

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC View Post
Chicago creek makes the gap bigger rather than filling it in. Jedi, where are the diversions?
Ooops. You are correct. I obviously don't understand math tonight.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #7
ACC

dropzone, Colorado
Haha, nice call out Kevin. Clearly the topic title has a typo. In no circumstance have I used "gage" for "gauge," though.

I agree, the flow is definitely in the fun range. Just wondering what was up since I've never noticed water being pulled out of the creek before the rapids in BR and we'd all feel more rad if it was 1150 rather than 900, right? Can't wait to see what it looks like at 2 grand.
Old 06-08-2011   #8

Boulder, Colorado
totally at a fun level, can't wait to see what it gets to maybe it will get to a nice medium where we don't hit any rocks now that would be sick
tj@cu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #9

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
There is a diversion below tunnel one above the ww park, which will affect the gauge down in golden, making BR higher than the in town gauge.

We ran lower yesterday morning and it was juicy, and super fun.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011   #10
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
So the engineer can't do math and the lawyer can't spell? We live in a confusing world.

Doesn't all this speculating about the Golden gauge accuracy assume that the upper gauges are properly calibrated?

Anyway, I agree, I like to think the gauge is reading high before I put on and reading low after I get off.

Maybe a less granular scale would be better than cfs. We could use "Tom low", "Tom medium", "Tom high". It would work out to something like <3k = low, 3K-10k = medium, >10k = high, but still class III+.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote