clear creek @ golden gauge recalibrated - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-15-2010   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
clear creek @ golden gauge recalibrated

Clear creek at golden was reading in the 250's this week, but the river seemed higher than that. Looks like the water guys did a measurement and upped the flows after the measurement. Looks like it was reading about 75-100 too low. They have already adjusted the flow calculation online to reflect the change.

deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010   #2

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I noticed this. Damn I wish I had know that all week.
goldcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #3

West of Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1998
We were there yesterday and it felt strange. The eddies for this level seemed stronger then normal and the channels/overall feel seemed shallower and faster? I wonder if the high water this year changed the bottom?
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2010   #4
KSC

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
The high flows definitely did move some rocks around. I don't think there's much difference in the overall character of the run though. I believe the rocks on the Mr. Bill slide shifted slightly and maybe a couple rocks at the top of the narrows below the first drop (not sure though). Also a rock in the left part of the horseshoe on Rigo shifted downstream so that it's not a very uniform horseshoe anymore. I think it makes the left line easier.
KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010   #5

golden
Ian, water powers very strong you have, something few boaters have been able touch. You can predict upcoming flows and sense disturbance in the gauges.

Master water Jedi, may the water be with you.
Old 07-15-2010   #6

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Yes the rock below narrows entrance shifted. Instead of pushing H2O left it all pours over and forms a sticky hole around 500cfs. It makes a fun boof into the right eddy now.

We paddled BR around 750 this year and it felt a lot bigger. Now I know why. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSC View Post
The high flows definitely did move some rocks around. I don't think there's much difference in the overall character of the run though. I believe the rocks on the Mr. Bill slide shifted slightly and maybe a couple rocks at the top of the narrows below the first drop (not sure though). Also a rock in the left part of the horseshoe on Rigo shifted downstream so that it's not a very uniform horseshoe anymore. I think it makes the left line easier.
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote