Clear Creek Challenge (Triatholon Run/Bike/Paddle) - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 02-27-2006   #1

Clear Creek Challenge (Triatholon Run/Bike/Paddle)

Clear Creek Challenge
Presented by Remote Productions, INC
A benefit for the Alpine Rescue Team
June 3rd

The Clear Creek Challenge (CCC) will be a three-part event, consisting of cross-country running, on and off road biking, and class III/IV whitewater paddling. The event will take place June 3rd, with a nine o'clock start time. There will be both team (3 people) and individual competitions.
CCC will highlight many of the wonderful outdoor recreational opportunities that Clear Creek has to offer. The course will bring competitors through a vast majority of our county. There is an estimated three to five hundred competitors for this inaugural event, along with an additional one to two thousand support crew and spectators. In addition to highlighting recreational opportunities in Clear Creek, spectators and competitors will be encouraged to visit local businesses. CCC is a fund raising event for Alpine Rescue Team.
The first leg, running, will be starting at Loveland Valley Parking area on Forest Service land. This will be a five-mile, cross-country run on the Bakerville to Loveland trail. The second leg, biking, is a 17-mile course that will begin at the Steven's Gulch Parking area in Bakerville. The course will follow the frontage road into Silverplume (apx. 5 miles), where it will then join the paved bike trail into Gerogetown (apx. 5 miles). After leaving the bike trail, competitors will go through downtown Georgetown via 6th Street, then head north onto Main Street. Next, competitors will head toward the Silver Creek trail (apx.7 miles) which begins at the first switchback of Saxon Mountain Road. The Silver Creek Trail follows the historic 1880's wagon road to the townsite of Silver Creek and down into Lawson. It is here that the paddling, and final, portion of the race will begin. This will be a 12-mile, class III/IV, whitewater run of Clear Creek. This section will take competitors through the towns of Lawson, Dumont, and Idaho Springs. The finish line will be at the take out located across from Kermit's Restaurant. Standby for more info regarding entry fees. For more info contact [email protected]

Clear Creek Challenge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2006   #2

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
How about a blackrock race?
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006   #3

Geologist, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
That last rapid before Idaho Springs, probably Class IV+ at peak flow will be tricky after all that running, biking and paddling....I'm game.

Where did they get the 300-500 competitor estimate....this is the 1st I have heard of it. Also, enty fees, prizes, any more info??
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2006   #4

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Phillips,

I think that some years the Clear Creek Challenge put on by Rapid Pulse does a race through Black Rock.
stinginrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #5

Just to get this straight.

We are talking a 35min run, 1:00 ish bike ride, and a 3:00ish Kayak?

Guy doing the paddle has a long day.
quimbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #6

I'd take the kayaking over the running and riding any day.
deepstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #7

Geologist, Colorado
It looks like the running is all downhill, the biking is mostly downhill except for a 2000 ft climb, and obviously, the paddling is down gradient.

Hey that reminds me.....in a reference to a man-made kayaking park, someone actually asked me if you paddle around in a circle....so that you could take-out where you put-in?!??!?!??!
jonny water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006   #8

Evergreen, Colorado
Killer Idea!

Have you thought about a relay race as well. One person does the biking another the running and the last do the kayaking?

You might consider starting the paddling at Dumont as the other sections may be a bit hard core for a race. yeah i know I am a pussy.

ben
benrodda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006   #9

oh yeah
sounds like a good time! i'm game.

"and a 3:00ish Kayak?" - i hope no one takes three hours to race 12 miles!

"You might consider starting the paddling at Dumont as the other sections may be a bit hard core for a race." - so we think that lawson to dumont (class III) is too hard core? maybe we could just paddle circles on georgetown lake to "tame" it down!

"That last rapid before Idaho Springs, probably Class IV+ at peak flow" - outer limits is never more than a IV on a good day! just keep your head up through black and blue!

"Have you thought about a relay race as well" - already mentioned

i'd like to see a sickbird loop where we bike up to the west fork and then paddle down to 119 & Hwy 6!

-dan
danger is offline   Reply With Quote