Clear Creek Canyon (Hwy 6) closed Apr. 30 - May 11 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Kayaking

Old 04-20-2007   #1

Golden, Colorado
Clear Creek Canyon (Hwy 6) closed Apr. 30 - May 11

Lately, I've been seeing a sign on hwy 93 when I'm driving home from work.

It says that hwy 6 through Clear Creek Canyon is going to be closed from April 10 to May 11. I have no idea why. The sign says "closed", not "closed from 12 am to 6 am" or anything like that. Maybe they'll let boaters through like they did when the landslide closed the canyon?

Based on historical flows and the current snow pack, it should be in the low to mid 200's by early May this year. Pretty bony, but still fun for some rocky class IV.

Ture is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
I saw this on the way up to the canyon this week also. Looks like it will shutdown blackrock, and lower runs. The release below says that are doing some paving work. They said that the canyon is closed to recreation for all users including rafters. Sounds like it will be open for that one weekend in between, but not during the week. At least is should be before prime runoff.

I remember somebody calling CDOT up to allow kayakers in the canyon last year or something. Perhaps we can try again...

News Releases

Central Eastern Colorado/CDOT Region 1

April 19, 2007
PROJECT WILL REQUIRE CANYON CLOSURE
JEFFERSON COUNTY – The Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) will be closing U.S. 6 through Clear Creek Canyon at the end of April for an asphalt paving project that includes rotomilling, installation of centerline and shoulder rumble strips and striping.
Beginning at 12:01 a.m. on Monday, April 30, U.S. 6 will be closed to all traffic between State Highways (SH) 93/58 in Golden and SH 119. The highway will remain closed until 2 p.m. on Friday, May 4. U.S. 6 will remain open through the weekend and close again at 12:01 a.m. on Monday, May 7, reopening at 2 p.m. on Friday, May 11.
The two suggested alternate routes during the closure include Interstate 70 to Exit 244 (bottom of Floyd Hill), and east on U.S. 6 about three miles to SH 119. Drivers going east from SH 119 will need to go west on U.S. 6 about 2 ½ miles to U.S. 40, east on U.S. 40 over Floyd Hill and access I-70 at the Beaver Brook interchange. The Central City Parkway via Exit 243 (Hidden Valley) also can be used to access the Central City/Black Hawk area.
“Closing the Clear Creek Canyon to traffic is the most effective way to complete the paving in a timely manner, before the summer tourist season begins,” says CDOT Resident Engineer Russel Cox. “Luckily, we have alternate routes that don’t involve a lot of extra travel time.”
The project includes paving three pull-outs. That phase is scheduled during the week of May 21. U.S 6 will be open to traffic but shoulder paving operations will require occasional, short traffic stops while flaggers alternate traffic through the work zone. The project is scheduled for completion by Thursday, May 24.
Asphalt Paving Company of Golden, CO is the contractor for the $1.8 million project.
Traffic information about this or other CDOT projects is on the www.cotrip.org website or by calling 511 statewide, (303) 639-1111 in the Denver area or (877) 315-ROAD elsewhere in Colorado.
REMINDER: Recreational traffic is restricted from using Clear Creek Canyon between the SH 58/93 junction and SH 119 during project hours to maintain public safety. This restriction includes bicyclists, hikers and rafters.

I saw this on the way up to the canyon also. Looks like it will shutdown blackrock, and lower runs. The release below says that are doing some paving work. They said that the canyon is closed to recreation for all users including rafters.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007   #3

Arvada, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
help with reply to state

Hello all,

Is it possible for one of you fine Buzzards with a little more experience with the state please write up a draft script for everyone else to use when we call them. It sounds like the road project will not incur any possible negative effects on paddlers (except a longer shuttle up I-70!). I think with the support of a bunch of respectful, understanding local paddlers making a few phone calls, we could use our creek whenever we like.

Thanks for your help!
-Adam
swollenmember is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2007   #4

Golden, Colorado
i think the difference this time, from last time (rock slides etc.) is they are working on the road which means we won't be able to drive up there period. i wouldn't be surprised if they close off the river access too for fear of not being able to get rescue vehicles up the canyon. this might be a good opp for folks to practice stealth long distance speed training. -t
Old 04-20-2007   #5
EZ

This time is for paving, and there won't be any access. When they pave, the whole road is worked on and there's no clear lane. When they are doing rock work, it is at one or two spots, with more possibilities for access. It's not CDOT being dicks, it just the reality. CDOT is actually very cognizant of the recreational traffic in that canyon, and boaters are really a minority. Fisherman, gold panners, climbers and families far out number us.

Closing that canyon is not done willy nilly. The gaming folks in Blackhawk/Central City are the real players and there are months of negotiations when they do any kind of work in that canyon. I used to work for CDOT as a rockfall geologist and I've been to several of these meetings. If they can provide recreational access, they are pretty willing to. This time it doesn't look like a reality.

FWIW

-Erik
EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2007   #6

Denver
I spoke to a couple of paddling shops about the issue today. They have agreed to have some participation in discussions with CDOT about access. Or at least lend their names to a letter asking if there is some way to provide access from the top or bottom depending on the road work requirements. Making it a "local Economy" issue might help. Getting the climbing associations in on it couldn't hurt either.
-jason
yakpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #7
I kayak DH.

Greater tri cities metro area, Colorado
considering what EZ said, which is exactly what I've heard from local CDOT workers here in Empire, I'm curious what you guys think you'll accomplish? If there's no acces for emergency vehicles, they ain't gonna budge.
Waterwindpowderrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #8

I'm glad they are closing it. I will finally be forced to try the Kermit's to to 119 run.

Get your 16mm ready, Double Knife here I come bee-hotches...
Old 04-22-2007   #9

C. Springs, Colorado
Quote:
I'm curious what you guys think you'll accomplish?
It will let them know that we too are a group of concerned users that would like to be kept in the loop. We might be a small group, but that shouldn't stop us from showing our concerns like everyone else. That right there is an accomplishment..........isn't it??
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007   #10

Lakewood, Colorasta
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverdan View Post
It will let them know that we too are a group of concerned users that would like to be kept in the loop. We might be a small group, but that shouldn't stop us from showing our concerns like everyone else. That right there is an accomplishment..........isn't it??
being kept in the loop and access to CCC during paving are 2 differing issues. If EMT vehicles can't get in, then in no way will we get in. The canyon is in bad need of some work. we won't miss much.

kent
Phillips is offline   Reply With Quote