Cleaning a Kayak - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-20-2008   #1

Denver,, Colorado
Paddling Since: 03
Cleaning a Kayak

So I recently went to a pool session and used a borrowed skirt. This skirt apparently had some sticky black stuff that it left all over my boat. I managed to wash the majority of it off using soap and hot water, but am not sure how to continue to get the rest of it off. The reason I want to get it off is so that all my other gear doesn't get sticky. My idea is to use nail polish remover. Has any one had any experience with this? I'm not sure if it will make the plastic weaker (i have a jackson) or alter the color.

Also, on my Jackson Fun the left knee pad has come unglued. How would I go about re glueing it and what type of glue should I use?

Thanks,
Ben

borkin17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2008   #2

Weyers Cave, Virginia
Paddling Since: 2001
Send a message via AIM to Slunk
I can't say with any authority to not use nail polish remover on your boat but its seems a bit questionable. I will however recommend that you just stick with hot water/ soap and plenty of elbow grease, because you can't go wrong with that. I'm sure that there are special purpose solvents for use on plastics that would be applicable but none come to my mind at this particular time.
\
Gluing your knee pad: Hot Glue(for a quick fix) or H2 glue (for a bomb proof\never readjust with out some solvent action, fix)

Hope I helped....
Slunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #3

Sovents won't hurt your boat

Your boat is made of polyethylene which is highly stable to almost all solvents, but be carefull of your outfitting or other materials. I would try in this order alcohol (absolute ethanol, methanol or isopropanol), acetone (might be finger polish remover depending on type), tolulene, or epoxy remover (be careful with these last three, they are very strong solvents). It's possible a non-polar solvent like mineral spirits, kerosene or gasoline might do the trick. I would recomend wearing polyethylene gloves or you could use vegtable bags from the store to protect your hands; and not breathing the fumes.
jbolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2008   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by borkin17 View Post
So I recently went to a pool session and used a borrowed skirt. This skirt apparently had some sticky black stuff that it left all over my boat.
Since I was hoping to spend a lot of time in the pool this Colorado winter (hopefully borrowing skirts as to not ruin mine with the chlorine) do you mind telling us where was this pool session was at, so I (or others) know to look out for the sticky skirt.
Ty012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008   #5

Denver,, Colorado
Actually, I live in Portland now but have used the Buzz a lot and normally get a lot more responses than similar forums so I still post. I doubt you will be up here in a pool this winter, but just in case the pool session was at Lewis and Clark College.
Old 10-21-2008   #6
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
Goo Gone, or any citrus based cleaner. Can't go wrong with this as the citrus is more friendly to most surfaces. Should take off all the residue with minimal effort. Soak a paper towel and lay it on the crud a few minutes. Then use same towel and wipe it off. Or try simple green
Old 10-21-2008   #7

Denver,, Colorado
Thanks guys! I managed to get all the cruddy stuff off using a combination of hot water and soap and 303 and paper towels!
That citrus stuff is good to know about thanks!

I ordered some H2....but are there any specific tricks or tips I should know about?

Thanks
Ben

Tags
kayaking