Clay Wright on the 70' Middle Palguin - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-15-2012   #1

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2010
Clay Wright on the 70' Middle Palguin

I don't know if anyone has read this yet but I thought it was great. Definitly not something you see a lot when you're reading sponsored kayakers blogs and watching videos of them "hucking the gnar"

Stepping up to Stout at Chile’s 70′ Middle Palguin Jackson Kayak – Whitewater, Recreational, Touring and Fishing kayaks

enjoy!

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012   #2

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Nice post. No, that is not the kind of entry you typically read from the pro-sponsored bunch. Very refreshing. Thanks for posting it up!
Old 02-16-2012   #3

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Clay has always had a great game.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2012   #4

Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1999
Funny how the current up and comers think its all about going big. Forget stomping lines if you can go over the handle bars and land on your head. I bet clay stuck it just like he visualized. The awesome thing about clay is he's not just good at falling he's good at kayaking. Which are not the same thing.. Anybody can go off a big drop and say they tried to run it but unless you stomped it you didn't run it you tried. Confidence and skill go hand in hand. If you're stomping and your nailing your lines, your confidence and skill level are right on point. if you just barely have it together than its time to fix your game before the game fixes you. People see bomb flow and think they can go big but it doesn't work that way kayaking is earned and sticking shit is part of the game... I'd like to see some smart kayaking this season not just meat huckers...
caspermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #5

Beaverton, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I'm really happy to hear him say it wasn't there and walk it. When you aren't feeling it bad things happen in a real hurry.
brandob9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #6
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
my last day on the river this season in chile was with clay and a few others on the rio palguin. i learned a lot. clay analyzes things very carefully, asks questions, and is very precise with his paddling. after some excitement upstream we decided to run the middle that day, his 1st time off the 70', my 3rd. one thing that i recall clearly, as i was about to push off with my hand for the seal launch in, is clay asking what my philosophy for the seal launch was. i had to think about my plan, explain it, and then do it. it wasn't too complex: push with one hand, land upright with hand on paddle, focus, approach lip, tuck, and hang on to the paddle. i thought to myself, "wow, did clay really just ask my opinion on how to seal launch above this beast?" looking up from the pool below, clay spent what seemed like an eternity in the boiling corridor between the seal launch and the lip, making sure he did it just right.

we had good lines. it was an outstanding way to end my 2 months in chile.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #7

Bozeman, Montana
Jealous tango nice job firing that up looks super fun. Do you get the squeeze from going deep or is it a flat out throw you to back deck and did you grab dive or cross your arms
Old 02-16-2012   #8
addict

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermike View Post
Jealous tango nice job firing that up looks super fun. Do you get the squeeze from going deep or is it a flat out throw you to back deck and did you grab dive or cross your arms
first time a ran it i got blown back a little, and the paddle came out of my left hand. second time i didn't get blown back but took a much harder hit. i was just out of the main flow. third time was the charm. softest hit ever. like feathers. the main flow kept pushing me deeper for about 4 or 5 seconds before resurfacing. i had time to think, "oh fuck, my skirt is going to implode." but it held. and i never cross my arms or anything because i hold onto my paddle all the way down.
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #9

Bozeman, Montana
Thanks for the details sounds like fun dude.
Old 02-17-2012   #10

BV, CO
Paddling Since: 96
Great post, Mike. Thanks for the insight, Tango.
Phil U. is offline   Reply With Quote