Clavey vs. NRS Bags - Mountain Buzz

Old 03-30-2013   #1

Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Clavey vs. NRS Bags

NRS Outfitter 3.8 vs. Clavey XL Expedition? How are these bags gonna end up after five years of steady use on family style river trips. Any preferences and advice about these two dry bags and the companies that make and sell them?

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013   #2

Sandy, Utah
They both look about the same. I've never used anything from Clavey, so I can't comment on quality or durability. I know NRS makes quality stuff, and they have great customer service. I'm sure either would hold up fine for five years with proper care. I personally prefer Watershed bags over the typical top loader dry bags, but they are more $$$, especially if you're outfitting a family.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #3

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
For affordable roll top bags, we use seal line. Cascade designs guarantees their bags forever. Although let me edit and qualify this to recommend ethical returns/replacements only. Not use, abuse, replace for free.
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013   #4

Grand Junction, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
They both look about the same. I've never used anything from Clavey, so I can't comment on quality or durability. I know NRS makes quality stuff, and they have great customer service. I'm sure either would hold up fine for five years with proper care. I personally prefer Watershed bags over the typical top loader dry bags, but they are more $$$, especially if you're outfitting a family.
Oh girl, I wish I could afford Watershed. I've only heard great things about them, and someday when I'm financially well off, or my children are taking care of me, I hope to have some in my "river arsenal". I own NRS bags that are probably close to their 8th or 10th year, and I imagine that some of their solid current condition may be related to how I care for my equipment. I've compared both Clavey and NRS materials and they look very similar, with Clavey having a heavier bottom. Besides that, the primary differences I see are about 2000 more cubic inches on the XL Clavey with 7 more inches of top space. That would be nice when putting taller chairs and roll tables in them. Essentially the statistics speak for themselves... Clavey's XL is about $2 extra for more space and more height, with a heavier bottom. It's the personal experience with Clavey that I have not had a history with. None of my friends own these bags either. I've seen some posts on Buzz that lead me to believe that their customer service has been well above board, and I have had great service from NRS. So, it's more of the personal experience from Buzzards that I'm looking for looking for. Hoping someone can tell me whether the size difference is worth ordering a couple new Claveys and seeing how well they do next to my NRS bags
Old 03-31-2013   #5

Grand Junction, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
For affordable roll top bags, we use seal line. Cascade designs guarantees their bags forever. Although let me edit and qualify this to recommend ethical returns/replacements only. Not use, abuse, replace for free.
Thanks for your experience and advice. I also have some Sea Lines that have held up great and I will investigate Cascade before I make my purchases.
Old 03-31-2013   #6

Grand Junction, Colorado
I guess time has taken its toll on my memory... I thought the SeaLine bags were more affordable some number of years ago. Now, a 115 liter Boundary Pack costs $119, similar in size and make to NRS's largest Outfitter ($77) and Clavey's XL Expedition ($79). I'm not sure the warranty is worth $40 for something smaller when I have never had to return any dry bag for faulty manufacturing.
Old 03-31-2013   #7

Jenks, Oklahoma
never used clavey bags have used seal line, NRS Bill's bag and watershed.

Not sure but a long time ago I switched to Jacks Plastic Welding gear bags and never looked back or even thought about another brand due to how durable they are. Started off with their middle size outfitter, bought the large outfitter for a special trip and same for the small outfitters bag. Never had a leak, have beat the crap out of them, all sorts of stains and scratches and they may well out last my tripping career. It is nice to have a choice of gear bags depending on the trip.

On watershed I have several of their smaller ones (smallest and the two sizes up) and used them a bunch. Did have on of the early man o rubber (I think that was the original name they had) crack at the folds but it was at least ten years old and used a bunch in the stern of a kayak. Never used the big ones but the smaller sizes have been bomb proof.

When river traveling still healing from what ever, I have drug my Jack's Outfitter gear bag here and there across what ever. So far some scratches on the outside but that all there is.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #8

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I almost forgot, although I haven't looked around at all the offerings lately, one reason I went to seal line was that they had lighter colors. I find those easier to see inside when rooting around.
Old 03-31-2013   #9

Sandy, Utah
I originally went to the Watersheds because I really didn't like rooting around in the top loaders. A river guide showed me the Watershed, and it was love at first sight. I must love them.....I have 5 of them in all sizes. My oldest one is 10 years old, and other than being dirty from river miles, it's good as new. I haven't looked at any of the other brands of duffel style bags. Don't know how the quality stacks up? The Clavey XL sounds nice, but an XL top loader would make me crazy. I use the long, skinny Cascade Outfitter tent bags for tables, cots, etc.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013   #10

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
We have 4 of the Watreshed Bags and they are the hit. As cata... raftergirl said, they are very well made. We've had ours 7 years. No leaks. A little 303 on the seal occasional and they're good to go. I have to agree, top loaders sort of suck
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag